FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Carter
I've had this orchid for 10 years, probably 11. It's very vigorous and very healthy but the problem is that it's grown itself out of it's pot, the roots and base of the stem has withered away; the plant was literally not attached to anything. Do I need to care for it how you would care for a vanda orchid and soak it it for a few hours every couple of days? Or is there a way that I can train it to go back into a pot?

You can see from the photos it has a very healthy root system.
Attachments:
Screenshot_20220722-184154.png
Screenshot_20220722-184154.png (3.09 MiB) Viewed 3316 times
By Bluefire
You’d probably need a bigger pot, but yes, I’m pretty sure you can just pot it right back up (with new soil, of course) like any old bare root plant. Just make sure you’re using soil it’ll be happy in. I’m not sure what kind of soil that is for your plant, though.
By wcrosman
Bluefire wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:52 pm You’d probably need a bigger pot, but yes, I’m pretty sure you can just pot it right back up (with new soil, of course) like any old bare root plant. Just make sure you’re using soil it’ll be happy in. I’m not sure what kind of soil that is for your plant, though.
Orchid bark for soil
https://www.repotme.com/collections/orchid-mixes
By madrone
I hardily support wcrosman's suggestion of appropriate media. Looks like you have a phalaenopsis there, so look for an orchid media appropriate for phalaenopsis. Also, if it has been in the same pot/media for 10 years, then that media was probably pretty broken down and soil-like. So if you put it into something more conducive to phals, then you will likely need to watch the roots and water it a bit more than you were. The transition after repotting is a bit dicey - both the plant and the owner need to pay attention a bit (maybe you more than it). Good luck and good growing - you've got a survivor there for sure!!

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!