FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I saw a very weird insect on my VFT. It looked like a thrip but much larger. It was around 5mm long. It was black with bright orange thorax and shiny. It’s abdomen was segmented. I tried to flick it off but I missed and then it hide somewhere below the leaves. It was kinda fast. Unfortunately I don’t have an image but I drew it. In the drawing the white lines are not stripes but to show the segments. Please help me and identify this insect :oops:
Attachments:
C9F53409-340B-41BA-8227-9BFB703843F1.jpeg
C9F53409-340B-41BA-8227-9BFB703843F1.jpeg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1556 times
By Intheswamp
It looks similar to ladybug larvae but I don't think that's what it is. Maybe a beetle larvae of some kind, though. ???
By Barlapipas 6
Bad news. After some searching it might be some type of rove beetle because it has some very similar traits. It might got there to eat springtails because there are a lot of springtails and most rove beetles are carnivores. I didn’t want to encounter a rove beetle but just probably happened this day. And it is somewhere in the pot. I hope that there will be only this one.
By Intheswamp
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:27 pm What should I do if it is a vegetarian rove beetle?
Hope your plants get it before it gets them? :mrgreen:
By Barlapipas 6
I know what I will do! I will let it live till February or March and hope it doesn’t reproduce, then I will put the pot in a ziplock bag with water for a few hours and then transplant the plant in it’s new pot with sphagnum.
By Intheswamp
The drowning technique might work but I've got a figure it's going to take days rather than an hour to drown the toothy titan.

The reason I asked earlier about the darkness is that some insects are attracted to light. I've sat up a halogen light hanging above a bucket of soapy water and placed it in the garden before to catch stinkbugs/shieldbugs. They are attracted to the hot light and fly into it, they are basically burned or stunned by the heat and fall in the soapy water to die. Another use for lights is one used for flea infestations...this usually involves having a clear bowl of soapy water with a light beneath it. Again, the bugs are attracted to the light, but rather than burning themselves on a hot light and falling they simply jump into the soapy water where the light is coming from...a good flashlight or even one of those "puck lights" under the bowl would work, probably. I was thinking that if it is very dark where you keep the plants and saw the bug that you might could try one of those tactics. Just some thoughts.
By DragonsEye
Unlikely to be a rove beetle larva. Most likely a ladybug/ladybird larva. I wouldn't worry about it.
Intheswamp liked this
By Barlapipas 6
My drawing was not that good. I am sure that it wasn’t a ladybug larvae. My drawing looks a lot like ladybug larva. I might make a more serious drawing. Anyways, I didn’t see it today but it was probably hiding.
By Barlapipas 6
Also I think all rove beetle larvae look like mealworms. Am I right?
By DragonsEye
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:36 pm Also I think all rove beetle larvae look like mealworms. Am I right?
Somewhat, yes.

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!