FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By tristanmwxx
So I went ahead and ordered an “extra large” SD Kronos from petflytrap even though everyone warned me not to. I know I shouldn’t have. Everyone mentioned small plants , unhealthy plants and bad customer service. But I still wanted to try it out so it’s on me haha.

It was so small and so pale from shipping. Messaged petflytrap and they said

“I’m sorry that I’m not going to have anything helpful to add. Outside of the pot, it’s hard to judge sizes. However, I can tell that while that plant could live in the smaller pot indefinitely, I would not have forced the much narrower shipping cup over it. It is in our XL range. Considering that we don’t sell fully mature flytraps at all (we sell them off faster than that), that’s about as big as they get here.

I do trim off the dying traps before shipment, because they always look so much worse after travel. Then I get the cry of “my plant arrived dead!”

Seems pretty tone deaf and shitty IMO. But here are pics. The Kronos is on the left top side and there’s a b52 from hunters fly trap on the right hand side. The b52 was one third of the price. Lol
I find it funny too because petflytrap allegedlt doesn’t do dormancy for their fly traps so it’s looking like that next to a dormant b52.

To atone for my sin, I went ahead and bought some plants from CPR, Jeremiah’s plants
Attachments:
7E81A62E-455E-4D4E-A364-40567DF2969E.jpeg
7E81A62E-455E-4D4E-A364-40567DF2969E.jpeg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 2827 times
By Sundews69
They listed that as an XL?! You could get that somewhere else as a small, maybe a medium. I guess it's better than it arriving dead though. Hopefully it grows up fast.
By tristanmwxx
Is it too deep? I have tiny pieces of sphagnum moss on the tops of the tiny plants cause I have a grow light fairly close to them atm
By tristanmwxx
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm They listed that as an XL?! You could get that somewhere else as a small, maybe a medium. I guess it's better than it arriving dead though. Hopefully it grows up fast.
Bro right?! What a joke! Now I need help deciding between a young adult melody shark or a young cudo from the fts
By Sundews69
tristanmwxx wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:00 am
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 pm They listed that as an XL?! You could get that somewhere else as a small, maybe a medium. I guess it's better than it arriving dead though. Hopefully it grows up fast.
Bro right?! What a joke! Now I need help deciding between a young adult melody shark or a young cudo from the fts
cudo IMO. I've seen melody shark for $15 a few times so it might be better to get it there. Don't ask me where cause I don't remember. I do remember it was a reputable source though
By ChefDean
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:50 pm is it me or should tristanmwxx raise the level of those flytraps in the grow media?
The Kronos? (upper left) looks good, the B52? (upper right) does look like it's settled down a bit and could be raised, and it's harder to get the small ones just right, but they should be OK until they get a little bigger.
However, a bigger concern would be that they're in a terrarium of sorts. That intermedia will probably be fine in there, but VFT's need direct sunlight or strong artificial light to do well, both of which are greatly diminished by glass. Worse, glass can intensify and hold the heat from sunlight and cook the plants where they sit. I would suggest that you get them into pots as soon as you could.
Intheswamp liked this
By tristanmwxx
ChefDean wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:14 am
Supercazzola wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:50 pm is it me or should tristanmwxx raise the level of those flytraps in the grow media?
The Kronos? (upper left) looks good, the B52? (upper right) does look like it's settled down a bit and could be raised, and it's harder to get the small ones just right, but they should be OK until they get a little bigger.
However, a bigger concern would be that they're in a terrarium of sorts. That intermedia will probably be fine in there, but VFT's need direct sunlight or strong artificial light to do well, both of which are greatly diminished by glass. Worse, glass can intensify and hold the heat from sunlight and cook the plants where they sit. I would suggest that you get them into pots as soon as you could.
Thanks for the advice! I did end up pushing the b52 a bit lower, its leaves are so thick this was hard to do haha.

This actually is a glass terrarium with the bottom broken out and it’s sitting in a drainage tray with sustained water. The glass top doesn’t stay on and I have some decent grow lights on it. So I guess it’s essentially a glass pot ?? Haha
My apt in nyc has no light anywhere but I’ll be moving soon and hope to have an outdoor space for them!
By DragonsEye
I'm more concerned about the succulent in the lower right. Neither terrs nor that media is appropriate for it.
Camden liked this
By Panman
tristanmwxx wrote:The b52 was one third of the price. Lol
The B52 was 1/3 the price because they are a dime a dozen in tissue culture and propagate easily. SD Kronos is rarer to find offered commercially.
By tristanmwxx
hollyhock wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:42 pm I agree with chef on this one. If SD Kronos is the plant in the upper left. It's a nice sized plant. :D
Alrighty I’ll take both your words ! Thanks lovelies!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!