FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Dong
Seeds of plants grown in the open air or stale seeds can get moldy a lot when sown, do you sterilize the seeds before sowing? I'd use an antiseptic spray, but with little success
By Intheswamp
Hydrogen peroxide is what I've heard people spraying seeds with. Most of the time (I think) once the seeds are scattered onto of the moist growing medium they are sprayed with the hydrogen peroxide. It also helps knock down early algae...and later algae. Search the forum for it and you should find a good bit of info about it.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
By Dong
Intheswamp wrote:Hydrogen peroxide is what I've heard people spraying seeds with. Most of the time (I think) once the seeds are scattered onto of the moist growing medium they are sprayed with the hydrogen peroxide. It also helps knock down early algae...and later algae. Search the forum for it and you should find a good bit of info about it.

Btw, welcome to the forum!
Thank you, I will search the forum for relevant information. This is a very dynamic forum and I'm happy to be a part of itImageImage
Intheswamp liked this
By Dong
Intheswamp wrote:Btw, are you stratifying your sarrs seeds?
My English is not very good and I don't understand what you mean by "stratifying".
But if you ask me about sarracenia seeds, I only planted them when I first started carnivorous plants many years ago (I just put It is sprayed with azoxystrobin and placed in the refrigerator for three months before sowing).
I have only grown pitcher plants in recent years
By Intheswamp
Stratifying is indeed storing seeds in a cold and moist environment for a month or longer to simulate winter conditions. Pitcher plants usually require stratification. :) Sounds like you know what your doing. :)
By Supercazzola
Dong wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:38 am Seeds of plants grown in the open air or stale seeds can get moldy a lot when sown, do you sterilize the seeds before sowing? I'd use an antiseptic spray, but with little success
I do not sterilize Nepenthes seeds, as I usually am taking them out of the seed pods and immediately to the chopped sphagnum moss.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

I know it's gonna be a blast!!! Wish I could come[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!