FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I was at my local Pike Nursery and saw that in the Christmas section they randomly had enormous nepenthes for the very first time. Naturally, I bought it as an early Christmas present to myself.

It was potted in some weird, furry, gunky peat moss that had the consistently of a brownie, so I rinsed it off in the sink, only to find that the roots were basically in a plug of soil bound by a roll of some weird paper. After removing all of it and rinsing it off, I saw that the root system was pretty tiny.

I know pitcher loss is pretty normal, as my other nepenthes are losing their pitchers now that it's getting colder even indoors, but I was wondering if the small root system but huge leaves would have a negative impact on the plant? Did I accidentally break off the roots?

By Camden
Neps have naturally small root systems. Actually my glabrata I recently got had like 4 roots about 1/2 an inch each. However, I think you may have accidentally chopped some roots. Any little black string thing in the substrate is almost positively a nep root.

I wouldn’t think that having a small root system with large leafs would be too Impactful. Plants like truncata and other epiphytes have small roots systems yet have humongous leaf’s and flourish.

I think it’ll bounce right back.
Nikson liked this
By Nikson
Yea
Camden M wrote:Neps have naturally small root systems. Actually my glabrata I recently got had like 4 roots about 1/2 an inch each. However, I think you may have accidentally chopped some roots. Any little black string thing in the substrate is almost positively a nep root.

I wouldn’t think that having a small root system with large leafs would be too Impactful. Plants like truncata and other epiphytes have small roots systems yet have humongous leaf’s and flourish.

I think it’ll bounce right back.
It was super weird, the substance it was potted in was literally as thick as a brownie and I couldn't even wash it off. It was so hard to remove and it was filled with like hairs, even on the parts where there couldn't have possibly been roots.

Definitely might have torn a root or two when I got to the center, but hope it bounces back!
Camden liked this
By Hang
Nikson wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:48 am the substance it was potted in was literally as thick as a brownie
Lol exactly same as my Ventrata from a local shop
Nikson liked this

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!