FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
It is that time of year again. Time for our Holiday Extravaganza, with multiple prizes ready to be won. Let's start with the theme. The Holiday Extravaganza is all about the winter holidays and winter season in general. Here are some general ideas:
• Red and Green
• Dressed up plants
• Santa
• Winter weather

Anything having to do with Winter or Winter Holidays is fair game. If you need some ideas, check out our previous two contests. The winners of last year's contest were:

So, what are the prizes you ask? We have 4 5 fabulous prizes. The top 4 winners, based on the number of like votes, will get to pick their prize from the list (first, second, etc.) the remaining entries will be pooled together and the winner of the fifth prize will be chosen at random.

To start with, @Matt and Leah from The Flytrap Store are donating a Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson'
From the Flytrap Store webstite:
Sarracenia 'Leah Wilkerson' is a naturally occurring hybrid of S. leucophylla and S. flava worthy of a spot in every collection! With its tall and large pitchers, S. x 'Leah Wilkerson' was easily spotted when discovered by Brooks Garcia in 2002 on the Wilkerson bog in Walton County, Florida. Pitchers were recorded at over 50 inches tall and averaged around 36 inches on the wild growing specimen. It can reach those proportions in cultivation too with adequate space and good care! NOTE: Some of the plants up for grabs in spring 2022 have pitchers that measure 40 inches tall!!!
@Panman is donating a Sarracenia purpurea venosa OP seedling. It is about 1 year old and, if you know anything about Panman, you will know that getting him to part with a Sarracenia, much less a purpurea, is a treat.
CM221129-191153004.jpg
CM221129-191153004.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 3382 times
@Evenwind is contributing a quartet of Drosera spatulata seeds. They are Drosera spatualata
  • Loureiroi
  • Frazier Island
  • Royal Park
  • Lovellae
@Savethetrees4life is offereing up a D.M. 'Flaming Lips' and a package of Drosera capensis 'alba' seeds.

And last, but not least, @Blackfeather666 is contributing a small tropical pitcher plant.
As usual, here are the rules:
1. You can share only pictures you took personally.
2. You can submit only 1 photo for this contest.
3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible.
4. Minimally edited photos only. No effects, or filters. Cropping is okay.
5. The winners will be the entries with the highest number of thumbs up (likes) votes.
6. Only votes from members with at least 5 posts will count.
7. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prize for international winners.

You don't want to miss out on this contest. Even if you aren't an amazing photographer, every entry has a chance of winning a prize.

So put on those jingle bells, don some reindeer antlers, and send us your festive pics!
Last edited by Panman on Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Intheswamp, John W, Camden and 3 others liked this
By Panman
I can be from any time. It can be 3 years old, if you would like. It just has to be a photo that you took and that hasn't been used in a previous contest. Similar versions of the same contest submission would be disqualified.
By Sundews69
I thought about doing that binata reindeer thing but I guess I got that idea from a past contest lol. Do you know what species/hybrid the nep is?
By Panman
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:32 pm I thought about doing that binata reindeer thing but I guess I got that idea from a past contest lol. Do you know what species/hybrid the nep is?
Binata reindeer would be fine as long as it is your creation. I was meaning that you if you took two pictures from different angles and used one in a previous contest you can't use the other one now.

I do know know what the Nepenthes is. He said tropical pitcher plant, so I guess it could be a ceph. Hopefully we'll get it cleared up before it comes time to choose prizes.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Well my entry will need to wait because the pot of binata is do dense it would be very hard to get little reindeer heads on them. I need to repot them to get more space for the heads but there is a guy pouring concrete in my basement where I keep my plant stuff. Very annoying! Now I gotta wait for the concrete to dry
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:06 pm Well my entry will need to wait because the pot of binata is do dense it would be very hard to get little reindeer heads on them. I need to repot them to get more space for the heads but there is a guy pouring concrete in my basement where I keep my plant stuff. Very annoying! Now I gotta wait for the concrete to dry
Oh, go ahead and walk through the concrete...it'll be something you remember for years to come (and everybody else will, too!). Kind of a family heirloom of footprints. :mrgreen:
Camden, Panman, Sundews69 and 1 others liked this
By Camden
Nothing festive all that much about this one besides green and red.

Hetrodoxa x Minor
Attachments:
Best pic I took in a while tbh
Best pic I took in a while tbh
559223F1-04B5-4378-BCB5-5D6B5934A2ED.jpeg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 3320 times
Panman, Blackfeather666, slicric78 and 4 others liked this
By Sundews69
Mine hasn't even flowered once. It was smaller when I got it and it was in unideal conditions for a while. I hope it flowers soon though.
By Camden
Yep second flower. Is this unusual? I got the plant at a MACPS event about a month ago. It only had the one flower stalk (which has not grown since) on it at the time. Soon after I got it, I divided it, so all the new growth and the new flower may just be from stress :?
By -Stanley-
hmm, how should I put it? Lets just say Santa had a little accident on his Christmas eve delivery trip. All were sad but one:
Santa accident.JPG
Santa accident.JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3230 times
Panman, Blackfeather666, hindzee and 3 others liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!