FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
For the next week it will probably rain nonstop. My plants are dormant as they should be (VFTs and Sarracenias). Will my plants be ok? (The rain can not touch them)
By Intheswamp
I think they will be fine. I had moved my flytraps and a cup of sarrs inside a while back, but decided it wasn't a good environment for them to be dormant in (especially after a mouse decided to prune a few of the smaller traps. :x So, I moved them outside and they've been fine...even got two or three inches of rain on them recently. I don't have them in a tray so they drain on through. Temperatures have fallen to the low-30Fs here...hasn't froze, though, since I took them back outside. They seem to be doing good...not growing, still green, and the traps are kind of laying flat against the ground. Like I said, I think your plants will be fine. Btw, you don't have any sundews?
By Intheswamp
One more thing...it's a good time to catch up some rainwater!!!! ;)
By Barlapipas 6
Yes I have cape sundews. They seem fine because the temperatures didn’t drop to 0°C. Only one day they dropped to 3°C but they are fine. They have flowers too. But I might have to cut them. They seem to grow slower and make smaller leaves but otherwise they are okay. I will probably collect rainwater again and see if it is polluted this time. My S.purpurea produces nectar especially around the crown for some reason and mold started growing. A black propably harmless type and a dot of white probably not so harmless type. How can I remove the nectar so I can prevent further infection? Both types have not done any damage by the way.
By Intheswamp
I'm not too sure what to say about your mold/mildew. Possibly a combination of high heat and high humidity? I would think that the nectar is a natural action of the s. purpurea in that it attracts food to itself. Possibly a bit more arid environment, maybe more sun (if possible)?
By Barlapipas 6
Unfortunately I can’t do anything other than water them less and only from bottom. They are outside. Yes it is VERY humid at winter in general here but for these days it doesn’t even get below 60% and stays mostly at 80%. Also S.purpurea catches bugs extremely rare so the nectar is useless especially for now that there are only some flies.
Yellowish leaves on N. ventrata

So, what's your watering frequency? :)

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Drosera germination time

I planted seven different types of seeds on 03/09/[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!