FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Adelae
I had cherry tomatoes do great indoors in Minnesota a few years back. Had them in a large south-facing window and they grew up to the ceiling, around the curtain rod, and about a foot back down towards the floor again. I had tomatoes into November, though possibly fewer at once than it would have been outside. You do end up needing to water them twice a day once they get big, though. Containers dry out fast.
By DragonsEye
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:51 pm I understand the shorter growing season. But, we were discussing carrying over plants through the winter versus starting seeds early. ;)
Oh, I totally got you there. That's why I had pointed out the difficulty of doing so indoors for many folks. :)
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:38 pm Try some Cupid cherry hybrids. The seeds aren't cheap but the plants produce a ton of oblong, very tasty cherry tomatoes. Very disease resistant, too. :)
Never heard of those. Cherry toms as well as other smaller fruited varieties like romas and Early Girl tend to be much more popular in the northern lands largely because they start producing much sooner.
By Intheswamp
Down here in the deep south our worst enemy is DISEASE among the tomatoes...fungal, bacterial, blights, rots, exploding stars, alien invasions, monsters from the deep, etc.,. :mrgreen: What I've found is that the cherries just don't seem to be as susceptible to these horrors as regular-size tomatoes are. One exception is Bumblebee tomatoes which are larger cherries...I tried two different varieties of these in separate seasons and both grew to be about 5' tall until I walked out one day and they looked like somebody had took a flamethrower to them!!! :shock: Early blight of some kind. :( For me, the Cupids have done extra good...dodging disease, they taste great, a little larger than regular cherries, and if taken care of they'll produce a bumper crop! :D

I'm not sure how these will produce in cooler climates, though. They *are* indeterminate plants and will get pretty big. ;)
By Intheswamp
Adelae wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:55 am I had cherry tomatoes do great indoors in Minnesota a few years back. Had them in a large south-facing window and they grew up to the ceiling, around the curtain rod, and about a foot back down towards the floor again. I had tomatoes into November, though possibly fewer at once than it would have been outside. You do end up needing to water them twice a day once they get big, though. Containers dry out fast.
Those November tomatoes were great, too, I would guess!!! :)
By elaineo
Adelae wrote:I had cherry tomatoes do great indoors in Minnesota a few years back. Had them in a large south-facing window and they grew up to the ceiling, around the curtain rod, and about a foot back down towards the floor again. I had tomatoes into November, though possibly fewer at once than it would have been outside. You do end up needing to water them twice a day once they get big, though. Containers dry out fast.
Just curious, what size pot and did you provide supplemental light? I tried growing hydroponic micro tomatoes indoors in a south-facing window, but they never flowered (I assumed it was lack of light)
By Adelae
elaineo wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:55 pm Just curious, what size pot and did you provide supplemental light? I tried growing hydroponic micro tomatoes indoors in a south-facing window, but they never flowered (I assumed it was lack of light)
The "pot" was a kitty litter container with holes punched in the bottom, definitely more than 2 gallons but smaller than 5, I think. No supplemental light but it was a very sunny window, third floor with no trees or anything in the way. Probably 10+ hours of direct light a day.
elaineo liked this

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!