FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By vtrap
Would this stuff be okay? it doesnt actualy have miracle grow in it, its just the name brand the only thing thats in it is nitrgen, pretty much the same with the mericle grow brand perlite

would that be okay?
By Cougar
vtrap wrote:Would this stuff be okay? it doesnt actualy have miracle grow in it, its just the name brand the only thing thats in it is nitrgen, pretty much the same with the mericle grow brand perlite

would that be okay?

I would be careful if I were you. It might not say it contains any, but being "Micacle-gro" brand, they probably have put nutrients and fertilizer into the peat.
By Veronis
vtrap wrote:Would this stuff be okay? it doesnt actualy have miracle grow in it, its just the name brand the only thing thats in it is nitrgen, pretty much the same with the mericle grow brand perlite

would that be okay?
No, it's not okay. Miracle Gro brand peat moss and perlite DO contain "additives" that will ultimately kill just about any carnivorous plant.
By vtrap
know where i can find some with out additives? cant order off line, shipping costs are crazy
By Veronis
vtrap wrote:know where i can find some with out additives? cant order off line, shipping costs are crazy
Read my new reply in your 'dog ate my flytrap' thread. Good luck!
By vtrap
i live in arizona now, i actually found what i needed today (SO I HOPE) i bought E.B Stone organics (brand) peatmoss- E.B Stone organics Perlite, and E.B Stone Organics Horticultural Sand, please for the love of all things tell me i did get the right stuff this time
By Steve_D
vtrap wrote:i live in arizona now, i actually found what i needed today (SO I HOPE) i bought E.B Stone organics (brand) peatmoss- E.B Stone organics Perlite, and E.B Stone Organics Horticultural Sand, please for the love of all things tell me i did get the right stuff this time
If nothing is added to those ingredients (I couldn't find out from reading the EB Stone website), then they should be fine. However, make sure that the sand is almost pure silica sand, not river or beach sand. Silica sand is translucent. If much of the sand is opaque (you can't see light through it), then it may be composed of grains of other kinds of rock, not pure silica (which is quartz, silicon dioxide).
By vtrap
the sand is nearly all yellowish brown in color and almost all of the grains are transparent

i read the ingredeants on the back of each bag and each one just states that perlite-ingredeants=perlite same witch the sand the only ingredeant is sand also same with the moss
By Veronis
A lot of silica sand is white, but other silica sand is yellowish brown...this is yellow/brown silica/quartz sand:
and

I'd hold off on using the sand until you can ask the company what's in the sand you bought. The answer you want is that it's silica or quartz sand. If it's river or beach harvested, you can't use it for your carnivorous plants.

Here's their contact info: http://www.ebstone.org/contact.php
By vtrap
it looks like the bottom picture and i called the company and the lady told me its quarts sand
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!