FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By TheAlfheim
Hi All,

Today, while removing dead/rotting leaves from my plant, I accidently pulled a small plant out. Its tiny and only has about 5 leaves (of which two arent looking healthy). So in the short term, Ive made a separate hole with a chopstick and replanted it in the existing pot. But now I'm thinking about moving it to its own large pot to see how it grows.

I originally bought a small glass vase in which to grow plants. It obviously has no drainage holes. Ive since read as many articles as I can get my hands on, and that's why I didnt transfer the plant to the vase when I got it. But now I have the small separate plant, I feel I can take a small risk.

What is everyone else's opinion? Is this not a wise idea?

-Andrew
By Matt
TheAlfheim wrote:What is everyone else's opinion? Is this not a wise idea?
I'm not clear on what you're asking. Are you asking if potting the plant in the vase is a bad idea? If so, yes, especially if it is a clear glass vase. The sun can go through the sides and heat up the soil very quickly, cooking the roots. Also, as you mention, it is much easier to keep a VFT healthy in a pot that drains.
By TheAlfheim
Matt wrote: Are you asking if potting the plant in the vase is a bad idea?
This is what I was asking...
Matt wrote: ...yes, especially if it is a clear glass vase. The sun can go through the sides and heat up the soil very quickly, cooking the roots.
This was my main concern (moreso than drainage). You've just confirmed my thoughts....
manzano167 wrote:leave it their were u just putted it and wait till 2011 in spring where you can repot it to its own pot with the proper soil :)
That is a valid thought. But I seem to have a number of plants in the one pot (its how I bought it), so I'm interested in separating one into its own growing conditions.

I might go with the recommended foam cup suggestion I read on the site...

-Andrew

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!