FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By ahicks51
I'd be interested in trading interesting clones of VFTs for nepenthes species in sterile culture.
By Matt
A while back I would have jumped on this, but now I realize that I just don't have the room (or desire really)to grow Nepenthes. Do you have any other species of CPs in vitro? I'd be interested in just about anything else.
By ahicks51
Matt wrote:A while back I would have jumped on this, but now I realize that I just don't have the room (or desire really)to grow Nepenthes. Do you have any other species of CPs in vitro? I'd be interested in just about anything else.
Nope- just neps. But- on the bright side- one can keep a "collection" of dozens of plants in a couple of square feet with baby food jars!
By Matt
ahicks51 wrote:Nope- just neps. But- on the bright side- one can keep a "collection" of dozens of plants in a couple of square feet with baby food jars!
Hah, that's very true! Unfortunately Neps are not as cool to look at in jars, though I do enjoy looking at my TC collection quite a bit. :)
By ahicks51
They're so cool- they form tiny little pitchers and everything. And every few months, you take them out, make nodal cuttings, and then you have MORE.

I have madagascariensis; faizaliana; insignis; ampullaria; rafflesiana; mirabilis; gracilis; and a very few ventricosa, and even fewer neoguineensis.

I also have absolute GOBS of orchids in sterile tissue culture, but for the most part they are ponderously slow growers and I'm not sure anyone who grows CPs would like to take care of anything as slow as, say, most cattleyas. Mainly I'd just enjoy playing with a nice, robust flytrap clone in sterile culture, just to see how strongly they'd grow. And cephalotus- I could never grow the stuff in pots, but I sure would like to try some in TC.
By ahicks51
Matt wrote: What media are you growing all of them on?
Nepenthes are trivial. Y'all have it good with CPs; they're not picky at all, or at least not nearly as bad as orchids.

I use diluted orchid mix (my OspEx 1.0, diluted down to 80% strength); I formulated N1 just for germinating neps, and it turns out it works as well or better than most orchid media for germination, too. I also use my P669 for germination as well- I sow everything on N1 and P669, as sometimes they'll come up on one, and not the other. I've also used Western media (WCatt formulation) for growing neps, and that does pretty well. I don't see any differences, to be honest; sometimes they do great on one medium, not so hot on another- but it's pretty flaky. The results aren't consistent at all. Most recently, I've put down two new formulations, one called Beta, and another one made with the MSU pure water formulation and some other stuff added in; too early for results from those yet.

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!