FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By vtrap
I have been looking into buying a venus flytrap for a couple days now. So today i finally went out and searched the town for a shop that carryed them. To my disapointment i only found one shop, and they only had two to pick from. So i picked up the one that looked less sickly and bought it. I have a few questions if anyone could shed some expertice on the subject. Many thanks

1) When i got my vft i inspected it and noticed there was a few dead stems and traps, i'de say about 4 of them. They were not hanging on verry well so i gave them a little tug and they came right off. Is it okay to do that?

2) I have a clear plastic dish i use for watering (i put about 1/4 in. PURED water in it) then set the plastic pot the plant came in inside the water, would that be acceptible?
i dont have distiled whater and payday isnt for a couple days. I do have a pretty top notch purifing system on my tap though, would that be okay??
plant1.jpeg
plant1.jpeg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
3) My vft has five verry verry small traps that made it through the "winter stage" i was wandering, about how long does it take for them to grow to a size that you can see detail?
plant2.jpeg
plant2.jpeg (83.21 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
4) I keep the pot on my window seal pointing north would that be okay sence the plants only getting the second have of the days light?
013000_1501[00].jpeg
013000_1501[00].jpeg (161.98 KiB) Viewed 2462 times
Any tips would be great, i really love plants and i'de like to watch this one grow

thanks again
Nick :)
By marvin1997
They like full sun so you can slowly aclimatize it from shade --> full sun better get the distilled water quickly but I think they should for a few days without water?Oh and ewait for the other members totell you what to do cuz' my advice sometimes' wrong :D Hope your plant recovers soon!
By kittyklaws
Hello and Welcome to flytrapcare! :D Congrats on the new VFT!
If you're in the northern hemisphere, it's probably in dormancy right now, so that's probably why it had all the dead stems and traps as well as the small growth.
Ummm, north-facing window isn't really best for your plant. South, South-east, Southwest, East, or West-facing is best.
It's best to use collected rain water, Reverse Osmosis, or distilled water(it's actually really cheap, like 79 cents a gallon and can be found in any grocery store)
With good care, I'm sure you will have a very happy healthy plant! Good luck! :D
By vtrap
ohh under a buck huh? ill have to go get some of that tonight, thanks for your advice any other good tips out there?
By Matt
Kelly and Marvin already answered your questions very well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. I mostly wanted to chime in here and say welcome to FlytrapCare.

For more information and to learn basically everything you need to know about keeping your plant healthy, be sure to read the articles and FAQs on the main site.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!