FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
...in the frying pan. With mashed potatoes. And cathead biscuits. And a glass of sweet tea. :evil:

I couldn't decide whether it was tree rats or "what" that had been riffling through my little plants. As it turns out it is both birds and tree rats, though the birds seem to not be quiet as destructive as the tree rats.

This first video pertains to a cup of venus flytraps that were unceremoniously dumped on the ground recently. Probably the wind. :roll: The wind probably also made the 1/4"-3/8" holes in one side of the cup (hidden from camera view from this angle), too. This cute little, fragile, dainty little bushytail is so excited about being there it's starting to dance a jig!!! :x
Sundews69, Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
This next episode is of the sweet little tree rat inspecting the tiny sundews growing in small pots placed safely(?) within a Sterilite container. No plastic is left unturned by these inquisitive, tasty morsels. Mashed potatoes, biscuits, and sweet tea would round this out nicely!!!!! (Notice...this is an early video with the ventilation holes that the wind caused turned towards the camera!)
By Intheswamp
...with mashed potatoes, cathead biscuits, and sweet tea!!!

Recently I acquired some tiny, tiny Drosera brevifolia plants that I painstakingly planted into four small 3" pots. Apparently this kind tree rat realized that I had not packed them down tightly enough so he took time out of his(her?) busy life to stomp them down a bit for me. At least it didn't think they were to packed down and decide to dig them up. Such kind and caring sweet critters. Remember, plenty of pepper but don't over do the salt....and save a little flour for the gravy.
By Panman
So, I had to search Squirrel Burgoo and this was the first entry it came up with. I am actually more interested in the photo at that top of the page. If you zoom in, it tells you how to properly prepare opossum.
https://casafestiva.com/2021/04/01/cook ... el-burgoo/
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
A great uncle of mine taught me how to cook possum. Dress/skin the possum. No need in a hot water bath first, the possum could not care less. Once skinned and gutted spread the carcass out on a cured hickory board. Oak will also do but definitely stay away from pines. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper and any seasoning that you like on your gamier meats. Take some wild dandelion, some finely chopped walnuts, and several slabs of full-strength butter (nothing "Lite") and spread over the loaded board. Next, and this is optional, some people like teriyaki sauce sprinkled onto the dish. Finally slide the loaded board into a hot oven (around 425) and could for 1-1/4 hours. Remove the steaming delicacy from the oven. Carefully holding the board with both ends have someone rake the stuff on top of the board into a garbage can and enjoy the board (remember, don't use pine). You're welcome.
Panman liked this
By Intheswamp
Not a recipe, but an interesting tale of "Squirrel Burgoo". Kinda seems a little "iffy"...let's see, you get on that side and and I'll get on the opposite and we'll shoot towards the middle". This is probably what people actually hear on the south side of Chicago each day. :roll:

SQUIRREL “BURGOO.”
The following description of an old-time squirrel ” ‘burgoo” was gleaned by a newspaper reporter some years since from Samuel Corbaley, of Indianapolis :
“I was born in Wayne township in 1834, and can remember
when, in the early forties, the squirrels (black and gray) were
so plentiful they almost destroyed the young corn. I think it
was the spring of ’43 that my father’s neighbors proposed to kill
all the squirrels around his farm if he would furnish the bread
for a burgoo. A day was appointed, and corn bread enough
for a small army baked by my mother and the neighbor women.
Three large iron sugar kettles, filled with water, were hung up
near a spring. Beverly Ballard, a Kentuckian, was appointed
chief cook. The neighbors, with rifles, approached the farm
from every direction, and there was a continuous fusiilade until
10 o’clock, when, by agreement, the hunters met, and threw
down not less than two hundred squirrels. As they were skinned and washed, they were handed over to the cook for boiling.
Then followed a feast. Soup was served in tin cups; squirrels
were taken out whole with pointed sticks, and corn pone was
served with soup made hot with home-raised pepper.
“After dinner the targets were set up and there was a test as
to the best shot; and many times the center was hit at a distance of twenty, forty and fifty yards.”
By evenwind
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:15 pm ...The neighbors, with rifles, approached the farm
from every direction, and there was a continuous fusiilade until
10 o’clock...
That sounds a bit dangerous, like a circular firing squad.
Intheswamp liked this
By MikeB
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:02 pm Carefully holding the board with both ends have someone rake the stuff on top of the board into a garbage can and enjoy the board (remember, don't use pine).
When I was a kid, I heard something similar, but it was a recipe for how to cook carp. I have no doubt the board would taste better than the fish.

As for the tree rats, I would break out my air rifle and put a swift & decisive end to this nosiness.
By Intheswamp
Indeed, carp works well with recipe. Maybe and a little lemon.

Yes, exercising the 2A is definitely an option. I’ve got a .22 springer with a scope. Used to shoot starlings in town with it. Then one day after work I was hiding behind a row of rear tractor tires sitting on the power lines between our building and city hall. Me all hunkered down behind the tires withe “rifle” and scope. Suddenly I realized they we’re having a large city council meeting that evening. Before sirens, flashing lights, and a redneck SWAT showed up I opted to disappear around the back corner of our building. I could’ve replaced “Pet of the Week” for the headline in our local newspaper(?). :mrgreen:

Ah well, I live at the edge of a pine forest that has an endless supply of tree rats. If I take some out it will only be a temporary solution…but a satisfying one. ;)
My sundew isn’t eating!

Now comes the hard part...patience!!! :lol: They[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!