FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Barlapipas 6
I am tired of those tiny white spider mites! :evil: They appeared again! And they are hiding and building webs on my S.purpurea rhizome. The plant grew a lot of pitchers around the rhizome and it is very difficult to just spray it with water this time. The plant also propably went to dormancy because it stopped growing pitchers and instead it grows some undeveloped scale like pitchers. What should I do now? Please help me as soon as possible.
By MikeB
Mites are more like land-dwelling crabs than insects. Most insecticides have little or no effect on them. Your best bet is to get some miticide, which is specifically designed to deal with these pests. Matt sells 3 different kinds on FlytrapStore.
Dan V liked this
By Barlapipas 6
Do they sell and ship to Greece? If not, can I find it somewhere else that ships it to Greece?
By MikeB
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:12 pm Do they sell and ship to Greece? If not, can I find it somewhere else that ships it to Greece?
Send a private message to Matt about it. I'm not sure what sort of EU import restrictions exist for chemicals like this.
By Intheswamp
Barlapipas 6 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:12 pm Do they sell and ship to Greece? If not, can I find it somewhere else that ships it to Greece?
Do you have agricultural supply stores or garden centers in Greece? I would think they would have a type of miticide there. I know the EU can be a bit more restrictive on certain things than the US is, but it seems that miticides would be something rather common to have. I'd start out trying to find a garden center of some kind and go from there. Maybe find out what the best active ingredient would be and the application rate to use on carnivorous plants and search for something you could adjust for that. Best wishes.
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By Greenthumbs Garden
I'm in Spain and the garden centers often stock systematic miticides. They work very well, however, I've reverted back to using regular sprayings of neem oil as the miticides are very toxic. Neem oil 1-2mil per liter with a drop of dish soap has kept my plant's mite free this year, preventative sprays weekly.
By Barlapipas 6
I will try neem oil first because it is safer because I haven’t used any kind of insecticide. It ill be probably easier to find it too. But is it effective on mites? Thanks to all of you for your help. :mrgreen:
By Greenthumbs Garden
@Barlapipas 6, I have found it works well but has to be applied frequently, especially in hot warm conditions as the mites reproduce much faster when temperatures are hot. I had mites on my small fig tree and peach this year and was able to control them and remove them completely by spraying with neem and a drop of dish soap every 2 days.
Intheswamp liked this
Not what you would expect...

Is it behind the seedling cup of drosera capensis […]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!