FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bluefire
I've discovered that some Nepenthes seem to do well on the one sunny windowsill in the house. It's got lowland conditions, warmer and more humid than the rest of the house (it seems to hover around 50% elsewhere, but I don't know how humid the room is. Just that it's more humid).
I initially discovered that this windowsill was better for my plants when they were stalling and not pitchering on another window, so I moved them. They took off, so I began to try different plants there seeing as the ventricosa and ventrata were thriving. First just easier things, like hardy hybrids, then beginner friendly species (veitchii, burkei, maxima), then some more challenging plants (northiana, truncata, clipeata). All of them are doing at least okay and didn't take long to begin growing - none of them stalled during acclimation. I'm wondering now how far I can take this experiment - what other Nepenthes can I relocate to this windowsill?
Camden, Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
unhappy bicals maybe?
By Camden
Leonardoi; Gantungensis isn’t too far off from Leonardoi & my Gantung
Has suffered through into the 100’s without a sign of stress. I think it would be an interesting project.
Sundews69 liked this
By Sundews69
Campanulata, sumatrana, hurrelliana, and orbiculata or all ones that might be worth trying.
By Bluefire
If only I had those *sigh*.
Maybe one day I will get them and try them out.
I was wondering about my existing lowlanders - mirabilis var. echinostoma, bicalcarata, ampullaria, reinwardtiana, bellii, pervillei, madagascariensis, viellardii, graciliflora, faizaliana, and merrilliana.
By Sundews69
Well, if they are doing ok where they are, then why move them? If there is one plant that is struggling, then just move him there.
By Sundews69
I'd say start with a few cheaper plants to test and once you feel confident in the spot, move some/all of the other plants there.
By Huntsmanshorn
If you are growing northiana well I would think you at least have a shot with most of those listed but esp. ampullaria, graciliflora, faizaliana, reinwardtiana, and viellardii (because I want to believe...). Please take note: I do not presently grow any of these and base this on my limited personal lowland Nep growing experience and/or what I have read. Switch any of these to the new area at your own risk! By the way, if I may ask, how are you finding viellardii? Easy, Medium, or Hard?
Camden liked this

Introduction: In today's modern society, individua[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!