FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Looks like probably another month or so in looking back at your dreamsicle propagation thread. I think I need to start lowering the water level, though. I’m thinking there may be a few more plantlets to pop out.

I think I need to up pot the mother plant. It seems the leaves are getting 6”+ and they start laying over. I had one to fold/crimp the other day so I snipped it into several pieces and have them in another container with wet Live sphagnum moss.
By Intheswamp
I've yet to come up with coarse sand. Got the play sand that I've pretty much determined is pure silica sand, but it is a finer grain...it's not a powder but definitely not a coarse grain. And, of course, I've got some perlite. I just had some issues with perlite nastying up my plants early on when I didn't have them mulched with LFSM...it was a mess...perlite in the traps mouths....perlite sticking to the small sundews. :| :( I'm thinking of starting to use a mix with perlite to fill the lower 1/2 to 2/3 of the pots and finish out with peat and the sand for the top layer and topping this off with a layer of LFSM.
By Carnies
How big are your sand grains? Mine aren't super coarse either, but it works fine. For transferring I would use just Peat and Sand if you're having trouble with perlite.
By Intheswamp
UPDATE:

This is no competition to ya'll's leaf sprouting successes, but I'm *really* happy with what I've got! :D

Started on August 28th, so almost two months old. The tallest sprout is probably +/- 3/4" tall. I had to move them inside and under lights which makes me a tad nervous, but they seem to be doing ok...they've been inside about a week now. I am *definitely* sold on starting sundews from leaf-cuttings!!! Larger sprouts/seedlings *much* faster than from seeds. There's still a learning curve I'm navigating and I've gotten in a ditch once, so far. Hopefully I can bring most of these sprouts through the winter and see them get big this spring and summer. From Florida to S. Carolina, to California and back to Alabama (I think that's the route<g>)...the well traveled sundew!!! :lol:
Attachments:
IMG_6295pp (Custom) (3).jpg
IMG_6295pp (Custom) (3).jpg (888.57 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
Some shots from tonight. The longest leaf is probably an inch long. When should I consider transplanting to pots? They're currently growing in saturated live(ish) sphagnum moss.
Attachments:
IMG_0161a (Custom).JPG
IMG_0161a (Custom).JPG (434.98 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_0160bc (Custom).JPG
IMG_0160bc (Custom).JPG (531.39 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_0160b (Custom).JPG
IMG_0160b (Custom).JPG (447.32 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_0156a (Custom).JPG
IMG_0156a (Custom).JPG (350.08 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
IMG_0155a (Custom).JPG
IMG_0155a (Custom).JPG (392.11 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Sundews69 liked this
By Intheswamp
Hmmm, ok. This is about the third time I've tried to post this and my posts keep...disappearing. :?:

Anyhoo... I'm about ready to transplant my Florida Giant leaf cutting sprouts from their nursery box to their camp cabins. :mrgreen: The leaves are a little over an inch long now and the plants have multiple leaves. I've got some 5-3/4" square pots and I'm thinking of putting four sprouts to a pot. I've also got some 2-3/4" pots (shorter also) that I'm thinking of putting a few single plants in.

The plants germinated in and have been growing in (mostly) live 100% sphagnum moss. I would like to go to a 50:50 peat/perlite grow mix and top dress with sand or sphagnum moss (live or dried). I have supplies for most any type of growing medium but this seems like it would be the easiest to transplant from at a later date. My question is whether moving from the live sphagnum moss to the peat-based medium will cause a problem. The sprouts have grown well. I did have to leaves that developed a tiny spit of white mold or mildew which I pinched out...the plants survived and did well afterwards. What I don't want to do at this point is hurt the sprouts. Any recommendations on going the peat/perlite route? Should I be patient and let them grow another inch? I really would like to get them out of the super humid environment that they're in and start hardening them off a bit...which I guess I can do where they're currently growing. :?: :?: :?:
Attachments:
IMG_6713.JPG
IMG_6713.JPG (822.23 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
By Panman
Okay, that's weird! I'll be interested to see what they look like when they grow up.
By Intheswamp
You got me to thinking so I went back and looked at some older photos. The transition from green to red seemed to happen quickly...from Oct 16th to Oct 20 it seemed pretty dramatic. Here is somewhat of an "age progression"...click on the square container picture and then on the right-arrow to watch them redden up.
Attachments:
August 28th as.jpg
August 28th as.jpg (909.71 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
October 16th b.JPG
October 16th b.JPG (255.55 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
October 16th a.JPG
October 16th a.JPG (238.42 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
October 20th b.JPG
October 20th b.JPG (373.72 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
October 20th a.JPG
October 20th a.JPG (343.42 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
October 24th a.JPG
October 24th a.JPG (491.78 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
November 28th.JPG
November 28th.JPG (410.57 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!