FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rodzun
Hello guys,

I am starting to grow some VTF indoors, however it came to my mind which type of artificial light will be best for them.

It is LED good enough? I do have a LED grow indoor lamp with 3 types of colors:
1. red + blue
2. warm yellow
3. white - Full spectrum (red+blue+ warm yellow)

The lamp that I already own:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082YWKWGH?ps ... ct_details

this led light should do the trick? or do i need buy something else for carnivorous plants? i am looking for something simple for a few VTFs that is cheap, and does not consume my wallet on electricity so I think sticking on the LED side is my goal.

Suggestions for cheap good LEDS? What type of light color should I use for VTF?

Thanks for the help!
By Panman
That lamp is not likely to work for flytraps. They require really intense light. You could use Yescom 225 lights. They seem to be strong enough but I have never had luck with flytraps indoors for any period of time.
By optique
Most who try to grow inside do not have much success. Growing out doors is easy mode.

By Rodzun
Panman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 am That lamp is not likely to work for flytraps. They require really intense light. You could use Yescom 225 lights. They seem to be strong enough but I have never had luck with flytraps indoors for any period of time.
Thanks for the suggestion of the yescom 225lights, unfortunately in my country it is rainy season, very heavy rains with cloudy days, it's very difficult right now to grow outdoors. that why I am looking for some led indoor grow lamps to help me out until January where summer/spring is here with of course very sunny days and zero rain.
By Rodzun
optique wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:00 am Most who try to grow inside do not have much success. Growing out doors is easy mode.

Thanks for the heads up, however right now where I do live, we are in rainy season, heavy rains and cloudy days. So sunny days are very hard to get right now, we do have some but not all the time. We do have some sunny days in the morning and then after the middle of the day rain starts to fall, and it is very heavy sometimes. Until January is where we get the spring/summer with very sunny days and zero rain. So that's why I am looking for some leds grow lamps for the meantime until January is here.

Really, really beautiful VTFs by the way!
Hope mines some day be as big as yours
By Intheswamp
In your user profile you can enter your location...knowing your location helps people to give you advice. I'm a newbie and haven't used lighting (just sunlight) so you can quickly discard my advice if you wish. ;) The light you're looking at has long, narrow light strips...I think you would be better served by a more square-type of a panel so as to have a better light pattern falling onto the plants. The Yescom 225 that @Panman, recommended is a popular one (if they are available in your country). Otherwise a panel of equal or better performance would be a better choice than one of the strip, gooseneck type of lights. That's just my opinion, though, FWIW. If you could position the plants in front of a bright window and also use the lights, that would help matters. Best wishes.
Rodzun liked this
By davinstewart
Check the PAR readings for the lamps. You're looking for something that can provide around 20-40 DLI over a 10-16 hour daily photoperiod.

Blurple lights are going to be the most energy efficient by far but have multiple disadvantages including weird light color making it difficult to observe and monitor the plants and possibly abnormal growth patterns because needed light wavelengths are largely absent.

Personally, I grow under MARS Hydro lights but I can attest that they run hot and it's an issue in my setup. If you're growing in a basement or somewhere naturally cool, it's probably not as much of an problem.
Dan V, Intheswamp liked this
By Rodzun
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:50 am In your user profile you can enter your location...knowing your location helps people to give you advice. I'm a newbie and haven't used lighting (just sunlight) so you can quickly discard my advice if you wish. ;) The light you're looking at has long, narrow light strips...I think you would be better served by a more square-type of a panel so as to have a better light pattern falling onto the plants. The Yescom 225 that @Panman, recommended is a popular one (if they are available in your country). Otherwise a panel of equal or better performance would be a better choice than one of the strip, gooseneck type of lights. That's just my opinion, though, FWIW. If you could position the plants in front of a bright window and also use the lights, that would help matters. Best wishes.
Sorry for the missing information :lol: I live in costa rica, tropical Wheater country. basically, we only have two seasons sunny and rainy, 5-6months of spring/summer or what we called here sunny days (December to May) and then rain comes, starting around june until November-middle December. As overall we do not have winter and all year round it is warm 80-90 F. but sometimes on the rainy season days can be 65F as lowest.

I found that Yescom225 are pretty good for carnivorous plants, seems to be that there is a bunch of CP growers that had been using the yescom225 white leds to be specific and their comments are wonderful about how these lights helped them to grow very well their plants.

Based on my research and the help of you guys, it seems that I need to improve my set up and move from a simply small desk to a plant shelf where I can hang the Yescom225.

Thats why I wanted to find some gooseneck with clamp good light to avoid changing my desk since I have no place where I can hang a lamp above my desk. But now as I said, it will be better to improve my set up a little bit onto a shelf where I can hang the lamp as well
By Bug_cemetery
The Sansi 36 watt bulb has a standard base so you could put it in a goosneck desk lamp as long as it had a wide enough shade. It would do ok for a vft for a few months
By davinstewart
That's pretty sweet! You growing those Heliamphora's in open air?
Panman wrote:I have this with my yescom.
By davinstewart
Growing outdoors is less maintenance but for me the best results are indoors especially during the hot summer months (July & August) when daytime highs are consistently over 85F. My plants get serious heat stress and look beaten up.

My indoor flytraps grow strongly through this period, however, and if you were to compare the two right now the indoor plants would win the beauty content hands down.

I'll likely put the indoor plants outside so they can enjoy a nice dormancy this winter but having said that, my experience is that indoors you've got way more control and that can produce dramatically superior results.
optique wrote:Most who try to grow inside do not have much success. Growing out doors is easy mode.

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Advice On Using Pool

I'd just use the pools as giant saucers.

What on earth is this?

Looks a lot like springtails to me. Other possibil[…]

What’s happening

Ok so I went looking again today and noticed a sid[…]

All three of those are available in the seed bank[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!