FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

FlytrapCare Forum periodic photo contests

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
It is easy to be taken in by the beauty of a colorful carnivorous plant. I’ll have to admit that I’m a sucker for any plant that shows off a lot of red. That being said, there is a special beauty of those plants that lack this red coloration. Whether it is called alba, anthocyanin free, viridescens, or just plan green, they deserve their own recognition. And that is what this month’s contest is all about. We want to see those carnivorous plants that lack pigmentation. The point is to showcase plants, that when mature, will only produce green traps/leaves (except in the case of excessive lighting where just about everything will blush, capensis alba for example).

Here are the rules:
1. You can share only pictures you took personally.
2. You can submit only 1 photo for this contest.
3. Pictures shared in previous contests are not eligible.
4. Minimally edited photos only. No effects, or filters. Cropping is okay.
5. The winner will be the entry with the highest number of thumbs up (likes) votes.
6. Only votes from members with at least 5 posts will count.
7. This contest is open internationally, although there will be an alternate prize for international winners.

Of course, if we are celebrating green then this month’s prize should be a green. The winner of this month’s contest will actually get to choose one of two prizes! @Matt and Leah with The Flytrap Store are offering either a Grun Venus Flytrap or a Sarracenia leucophylla alba . The prize will be shipped bareroot unless the winner chooses to pay extra postage for a potted plant.

From the Flytrap Store website:
Grun is a very hardy (one of the absolute hardiest) all-green Venus Flytrap cultivar, that grows upright with large traps and uniquely vivid green coloration only. Great Venus Flytrap for beginners. An all-green Venus Flytrap clone from Europe, with larger traps and neater growth than the official all-green cultivar Justina Davis. Like other all-green Venus Flytraps, a very faint pink can be discerned inside the traps only when exposed to very bright and prolonged light.
I don’t have a photo or any details on the leucophylla, but if Matt is offering it, you know it is going to be a great plant.

So let’s see some shots of your not-so-plain-Janes. We want something green that would even make Kermit proud.
Last edited by Panman on Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Panman
Camden M wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:58 pm Would a trap with some red pigmentation from the sun count?
If it is a variety/cultivar that is named as an alba, green, etc. For example, Drosera capensis alba can get a pink tinge under strong lights. That would be acceptable. A VFT typical that is green with some red tinge, would not.
Camden liked this
By Camden
One of my all green typicals.
Attachments:
Red trap on left and in the back are a different plant
Red trap on left and in the back are a different plant
570815B3-FFEB-42AD-AECE-1A13874331E3.jpeg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 2673 times
Last edited by Camden on Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 7 times in total.
-Stanley-, Dan V, VFTnPups liked this
By Panman
Camden M wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 pm Maxima x (Eymae x Veitchii)
“In the rain”
Is that a green? The photos I see of that cross show colored pitchers.
By Camden
Panman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:51 pm
Camden M wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:49 pm Maxima x (Eymae x Veitchii)
“In the rain”
Is that a green? The photos I see of that cross show colored pitchers.
Yes the pitchers are colored from my knowledge( hasn’t made one for me yet :(). Hmm… I’m a bit confused now. Are we allowed to submit pictures of plants that themselves are all green but the var., cross, or species usually isn’t? Or does the var., cross or species have to be green? Sry for accidentally making this complicated!
By Panman
Camden M wrote:Sry for accidentally making this complicated!
No worries. Sometimes I need to work the description out as we go. The point is to show plants, that when mature, will only produce green traps/leaves, except in the case of excessive lighting where just about everything will blush. In your case, that cross will produce colored pitchers so it wouldn't qualify. If you had it producing mature traps, and they were green, then it would qualify. Does that make sense? Or do I need to go back to the drawing board.
By Camden
Panman wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:10 pm
Camden M wrote:Sry for accidentally making this complicated!
No worries. Sometimes I need to work the description out as we go. The point is to show plants, that when mature, will only produce green traps/leaves, except in the case of excessive lighting where just about everything will blush. In your case, that cross will produce colored pitchers so it wouldn't qualify. If you had it producing mature traps, and they were green, then it would qualify. Does that make sense? Or do I need to go back to the drawing board.
Yep, as clear as a boulder in a kiddie pool :) I’ll get another picture for ya soon ;)
By Hendre
Probably one of the rarest sundews in the world - an Anthocyanin free Drosera rubrifolia! The irony is not lost on me, rubrifolia means red foliage! Talk about a black sheep in the family.
GreenRubrifolia.PNG
GreenRubrifolia.PNG (2.29 MiB) Viewed 2826 times
Panman, Sundews69, Dan V and 4 others liked this
By Bluefire
Does a Nepenthes inermis count, it's the only almost entirely green plant I have. The only color is a pink blush on the tendrils.

Don't even know if I should enter it even if it's eligible anyway, not the most impressive plant. Besides I never do well anyway.
John W liked this
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!