FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By nowakpiotr2005
I've discovered my Ventrata has been overfilling its pitchers to a point where the juice is almost spilling out. Has anyone had this happen to their plants? I wonder what might be causing this.

This is a pretty typical windowsill Ventrata. The only thing I have changed recently is the type of fertilizer.

Sent from my SM-A415F using Tapatalk

By nowakpiotr2005
Used to use osmocote, this time I gave it an NPK 12-6-8 slow release fertilizer sticks directly into all the pitcher's + a bit of older osmocote in the tray. Never had a problem with overfertilizing this way.

This has actually happened before but that was a while ago before I was fertilizing them. Last time I just thought the kids had been messing around and put water into the pitchers. I've moved it away from their reach ever since. I bottom water it so I'm pretty sure it couldn't have gotten into them artificially.

I'll also add that there are 3 ventratas growing next to each other and only 1 of them is doing this so far.

By Hendre
Ventrata may be a little overenthusiastic, hybrid vigour! This is rather unusual, definitely following
By nowakpiotr2005
UPDATE: The other ventratas are also doing this. Seems like they've literally filled it overnight. Maybe they don't like the new fertilizer?
Here are some pics of what it looks like and of the fert. Sorry for the bad quality, I hope its visible enough Image
ImageImageImageImageImage

By Bluefire
I've never heard of people using those for Nepenthes. Maybe they are causing it to overflow? Sometimes sticking something relatively massive into a volume of water causes the water to rise. It also appears that the pitchers are dying with the fertilizer inside, maybe dial it back just a bit.
MaxVft liked this
By nowakpiotr2005
Sorry I didn't specify that the sticks are broken up into 1cm bits and I drop 2-3 of those in each pitcher. Some of them might appear that way because of age, first pic (and a couple others on the plant) shows a young pitcher, which appers healthy.
I'll pour out the juices and I'll monitor the situation.
Pretty strange to say the least!

By tib777
My juvenile Neps do this too, one had liquid pouring out the top. I fertilize with 1 osmocote pellet per pitcher. I noticed that when I started some of the pitchers died, but then after a week the neps exploded with growth and lately they haven’t browned. I also don’t know why this happens but it happens to me as well
By nowakpiotr2005
PlanT640847401 wrote:It's not a problem, it's money! If you can reliable get a plant to do that I'm sure people would buy it. Maybe try not feeding one pitcher to see if it is truly the plant itself.
As much as I'd absolutely love that to happen, I don't think it's the case. Image It's likely an environmental thing as the other 2 nepenthes are doing it aswell.
I wonder if it really is the fertilizer thats causing this, or a maybe its a humidity thing? Similar to when a cephalotus closes its pitchers to decrease evaporation, maybe nepenthes produce more liquid to INCREASE evap. around the plant. Image

Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!