FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Kevin01
Hello, I just bought a new Nepenthes from a nursery, it was labeled as "Nepenthes alata", I figure it's a mislabel, can any of you help with identifying this beauty?
Attachments:
20220805_161809.jpg
20220805_161809.jpg (5.52 MiB) Viewed 1959 times
By Camden
Nice buy! We can almost 100% say that’s a Nepenthes ‘Gaya’ which is a cross consisting of khasiana x (ventricosa x maxima) where as a true species alata is much harder to find.
Kevin01 liked this
By Kevin01
Thank you very much Camden!
Do you have any care tips for Gayas? I've put mine in a glass cabinet to hopefully get some much wanted humidity, it's currently at 55% but will hopefully stay around 60-70%
By Camden
Yeah, no problem. Gaya, no. Ventricosa and maxima, yes. Khasiana is supposed to be a lot like Ventricosa so not on unfamiliar grounds here. All are really super hardy, pitchers abundantly and in turn are real easy to care for. Now Gaya is a hybrid of them all which means that it has a thing called hybrid vigor; When you breed nepenthes the seed seems to usually get the best of both parents. Which means you get better hardiness, pitcher size, growth rate etc. So that means that Gaya should be a really quick grower, super resilient, and humidity shouldn’t be problem. I find the easiest thing to do is just let them be and not to stress out to much. Water them when they need it and feed them a bug or two along the way. Hope this helps :)
By Hendre
It is looking good! New pitchers should hang nicely, I notice that commercially grown neps go sideways often as the pitchers sit on other pots or on a bench due to the short, packed pots.

There is alata "luzon" or alata 'q' going around which is nice, I have the former and it is bulletproof. Cost me about $20 here in South Africa.
By Joshua09
Camden M wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:34 pm Nice buy! We can almost 100% say that’s a Nepenthes ‘Gaya’ which is a cross consisting of khasiana x (ventricosa x maxima) whereas a true species alata is much harder to find.
For us in the Philippines, a little bit easy to find because it is native here in the Philippines.
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

*Phew* Okay, hadn't updated this is awhile. :l[…]

Well.. its been a few weeks. I've watched my dog l[…]

All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!