FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By nmarch911
Hi all! I can't figure out what's going on :( . Many of my plants have begun to blacken the stem (not a trap). In the photo is a pot with my the weakest plants :cry: . What would you think if you saw this? What should be checked? What could it be? The conditions have not changed recently.

Plants 3 years old, grown from seeds.
Soil: peat, perlite, quartz sand 40/40/20, transplanted in May, Ph 5.5.
Sun 4-6 hours. Humidity I don't know, I think it's low.
I don't see any insects, except for a few Sciarids (midges), they have never interfered before.
I water the plants once a week. I check the moisture of the soil with a "moisture meter".

Thanks!
Attachments:
4.jpg
4.jpg (2.01 MiB) Viewed 2242 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (2.38 MiB) Viewed 2242 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2242 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 2242 times
By nmarch911
Yes, they always grew on the window. I use distilled water, I buy it. They were at rest this winter and last. Could it be sunburn?
By ChefDean
Yes, they appear to be planted too deeply, but I think the bigger issue is that they are not getting enough light. VFT's need direct sunlight, glass filters sunlight, so that windowsill can get sunlight all day long and it won't be enough. If they've been on that windowsill for three years, they've received enough light to slowly grow to this point. But now that they're of size, it's not enough. Lack of light and lack of a proper dormancy for three years, they're now slowly dying.
They can be saved, it's not too late. If you do repot them I would suggest you get them outside in direct sunlight. Normally I would suggest the tough love approach; put them outside straight away. The existing leaves will sunburn and die, but the new leaves will grow out acclimated to the new conditions. However, yours might not pull through that method. You'll need to slowly transition them into direct sunlight over a period of a few weeks.
Your plants will be in much better shape after they get their basic needs met, which isn't happening at the moment.
By nmarch911
ChefDean wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:21 pm Yes, they appear to be planted too deeply, but I think the bigger issue is that they are not getting enough light. VFT's need direct sunlight, glass filters sunlight, so that windowsill can get sunlight all day long and it won't be enough...
ChefDean, thanks a lot! Now I understand why they remain at the same level of growth. I'll come up with something to place them outside the window. I will monitor their condition and gradually accustom my VFT to sunlight.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!