FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
The title says it all.
I found this article that tells you everything you need to NOT do or know in order to successfully grow VFT's, or any carnivorous plant really.
If you receive this advice, you know you're somewhere or talking to someone that doesn't care about or know the facts. DO NOT FOLLOW THE ADVICE IN THIS ARTICLE, OR ANYONE WHO GIVES YOU SIMILAR ADVICE!!!
https://daysingarden.com/how-to-make-ve ... trap-soil/
By MaxVft
All this sponsored crap is just paid articles with bleak, if no sources or details. This is very saddening considering how many people probably followed this advice but killed their flytraps without the intent to.

Please follow advice from small, nonprofit websites like this forum. There is so much misinformation out there it’s not even a joke.
By Apollyon
I did a craft fair last week where I sold Carnivorous Plants and provided a grow guide. I legit wrote "Do not trust any information you get on facebook or other dubious sources." and referred them to these forums. I'll be doing them periodically so hopefully you'll see some new blood in here too.

Edit: I just finished reading that article and I'm actually pretty mad now. I personally like how they said to use plant based compost and not animal fertilizer and finish by saying to make compost with animal waste. I'm not sure what drugs they're on but the only thing they got right was "Put in the sun." This had to have been written by the guys putting them in the cups because any one of these suggestions is a death sentence. "Aphids are the natural prey." Find me a flytrap that isn't one week old that'd close on an aphid.
MikeB liked this
By Carnies
MikeB wrote:I am so going to register for an account on that site to reply to that post. I intend to pick it to shreds.
Nice, and link this forum too.
By MikeB
Update: There is no way to create an account on that site to post replies.

When I was checking out the home page, I spotted this at the bottom:
Daysingarden.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
This picture sums up that site nicely:
Bullshit-o-meter.jpg
Bullshit-o-meter.jpg (12.89 KiB) Viewed 2681 times
By evenwind
Panman wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:27 pm Auto written AI crap.
Nah, I think the Harvard Lampoon has branched into grow guides.
Panman, Intheswamp liked this
By Nepenthes0260
My god, I don't think I've ever seen such a terrible flytrap care article. I feel like not one aspect of Dionaea culture was researched, or even considered, before the production of this monstrosity.
Apollyon liked this
By Camden
I wonder if this was meant as a joke -
These characteristics include moist soil, which is why it smells good

Some people use kelp, fish emulsion, blood meal, and many other fertilizers

They require lots of water, but they don’t like wet soil
“They require lots of water, but they don’t like wet soil”-

I mean you can’t have both.

The fly has a protein on its abdomen that it secretes when it enters the trap. When the fly is inside, the Venus flytrap detects the protein.
Does it have mechanical parts to it? I don’t recall seeing a camera or sensors on a trap lately.
Last edited by Camden on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Bluefire
Man, this is a joke. It really hurts to read. Kills your faith in humanity... Right, I have none. But even compared to the instructions on those storebought plants this is worse.

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!