FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ani
Hey everyone,

After some Googling, I'm pretty sure a bunch of leaf hopper larvae have made a nice little home in my VFT (put little red crosses in pic where they be chilling) and while I am watching them grow up and chilling on this one particular trap (there are a few more on others), I don't want them staying there.

I've noticed some other things too, like this damp substance that I circled on one of the petioles. I thought it was water, but it didn't evaporate over night, so no idea what that is. I also noticed that a baby trap opening up doesn't seem to look like the smooth semicircle I am used to seeing. Can this sometimes just be regular trap development?

Has anyone had any luck with good old sticky yellow fly paper in enticing these bugs off their plants??? I just ordered some, but I want a good idea of how optimistic I should be ha ha.

Pretty sure these are leaf hopper larvae because they appeared after a tiny green one was on there, which I am assuming lay eggs somewhere.

Thanks for any feedback!
Attachments:
IMG_20220812_094957624.jpg
IMG_20220812_094957624.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1047 times
IMG_20220812_095010382_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220812_095010382_HDR.jpg (2.81 MiB) Viewed 1047 times
IMG_20220812_095035893.jpg
IMG_20220812_095035893.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1047 times
By Intheswamp
Ani wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:00 pm Hey everyone,

After some Googling, I'm pretty sure a bunch of leaf hopper larvae have made a nice little home in my VFT (put little red crosses in pic where they be chilling) and while I am watching them grow up and chilling on this one particular trap (there are a few more on others), I don't want them staying there.

I've noticed some other things too, like this damp substance that I circled on one of the petioles. I thought it was water, but it didn't evaporate over night, so no idea what that is. I also noticed that a baby trap opening up doesn't seem to look like the smooth semicircle I am used to seeing. Can this sometimes just be regular trap development?

Has anyone had any luck with good old sticky yellow fly paper in enticing these bugs off their plants??? I just ordered some, but I want a good idea of how optimistic I should be ha ha.

Pretty sure these are leaf hopper larvae because they appeared after a tiny green one was on there, which I am assuming lay eggs somewhere.

Thanks for any feedback!
I must be blind...I see no "crosses" nor a "circle"....?????

I've used sticky traps a lot when growing my vegetable seedlings...I always have one hanging at the end of a shelf with a small fan blowing towards it from the other end of the shelf...the sticky traps catch a lot of small flies and gnats. I would think you could lay them on the surface of your grow-mix and catch some crawling insects, too. As to how effective they will be in ridding your plants of whatever critters are pestering them will have to be seen...a bug does have to get on the trap to get stuck. Flooding the plant, as Panman suggested, sounds like a very good action...drown the suckers! Then afterwards you could hang a sticky trap to catch any malingerers hanging around...of course the sticky traps will probably beat the flytraps out of some meals, too, so there will be pros and cons when using them.
Ani liked this
By Ani
No, you're not blind at all. I thought I'd uploaded the edited images, but I hadn't. My bad :lol:
These little guys are just super hoppy. My hope is that they will see something else super bright and jump onto that to investigate and get caught in the process.
I don't have any room to lay traps on the growing mix, sadly, but I was thinking of hanging something next to the plant (but not close enough to get stuck to the plant!) and hope it may entice something.
I haven't seen anything on the soil surface. Just the traps and petioles. And then do jump when approached / touched. I'll see how things go.
Thanks for the advice!
Intheswamp liked this
Not what you would expect...

ant hill? No, He hates ants. But I am pretty sur[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

I will need to check out our local TJ's. Normally […]

Order received. Your order number is 1642. I'll PM[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

This was the shipment that arrived while I was the[…]

What’s happening

It was rot Im not sure if it was root rot or crown[…]

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!