FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By davinstewart
Ok, update time. I applied the 3rd and final application of azoxystrobin a couple weeks ago and have watered a couple times since then. Attached are pictures of the plants as they are today.

As you can see, there's very little difference between the plants using azoxystrobin vs. without. I think I can say definitively that there is no additional vigor in the plants treated with azoxystrobin.

In fact, I'd say the ones without azoxystrobin have slightly better coloration and appeal since they're not covered in the fine white powder that's left over from dissolving the Scott's pellets in rain water.

I'll continue growing these out this season to see how they do but this seems enough for me to say I won't be going to the trouble of using azoxystrobin in the future unless I have fungus issues.

Take a look and let me know what you think. What are your thoughts?

Davin
Attachments:
20220809_140846.jpg
20220809_140846.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140843.jpg
20220809_140843.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140839.jpg
20220809_140839.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140818.jpg
20220809_140818.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140809.jpg
20220809_140809.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140806.jpg
20220809_140806.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140756.jpg
20220809_140756.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
20220809_140750.jpg
20220809_140750.jpg (2.27 MiB) Viewed 2304 times
Slend582 liked this
By schmeg
Friendly heads-up — Posting the EPA fact sheet for Azoxystrobin: https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_se ... Feb-97.pdf

"Azoxystrobin is of low acute and chronic toxicity to humans, birds, mammals, and bees but is highly toxic to freshwater fish, freshwater invertebrates, and estuarine/marine fish, and very highly toxic to estuarine/marine invertebrates."

As with any "-cide," take care to know what impacts any spilled, flushed, sprayed, etc. material might have.
davinstewart liked this
By Intheswamp
davinstewart wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:48 am<snip>
I'll continue growing these out this season to see how they do but this seems enough for me to say I won't be going to the trouble of using azoxystrobin in the future unless I have fungus issues.

Take a look and let me know what you think. What are your thoughts?

Davin
Thanks for sharing. Earlier this summer I picked up a bag of the stuff at Lowe's...never opened it. I might need something for fungus later on but for now I think I'll return it for a store credit.
davinstewart liked this
By davinstewart
Thanks for the heads up schmeg. Fortunately, I reviewed the label warnings before starting this experiment and have been disposing of the leftovers appropriately!

This is also yet another reason to avoid unwarranted use of azoxystrobin.
schmeg wrote:Friendly heads-up — Posting the EPA fact sheet for Azoxystrobin: https://www3.epa.gov/pesticides/chem_se ... Feb-97.pdf

"Azoxystrobin is of low acute and chronic toxicity to humans, birds, mammals, and bees but is highly toxic to freshwater fish, freshwater invertebrates, and estuarine/marine fish, and very highly toxic to estuarine/marine invertebrates."

As with any "-cide," take care to know what impacts any spilled, flushed, sprayed, etc. material might have.
By Dan V
I really appreciate this experiment by davinstewart but, I'm not totally convinced that azoxystrobin has no benefits for vft's and will continue to use it as the science speaks to the "potential" benefits and I have witnessed almost instantaneous "greening" on certain plants. I'm currently applying Azoxystrobin to seedlings and newly de-flasked plants as well as all my other vfts.
Azoxystrobin toxicity is really a non-issue in my opinion since it is designed for "Turf" application but does require a little common sense to use as does almost everything else.
davinstewart liked this
By davinstewart
No worries Dan. I'm just presenting the data I've gathered hoping it'll be of some use.

Azoxystrobin definitely has other uses for vfts (it's a fungicide, after all) and I certainly noticed some greening but it's not clear to me that it also enhances plant growth. That's what my experiment was designed to test.

I thought that there was no evidence that azoxystrobin enhances plant vigor BUT I'm just now starting to notice an interesting trend in the plants from my experiment. All of a sudden, the ones treated with azoxystrobin are putting out noticably larger traps than the untreated plants! I've kept all of the cultural conditions the same so this may be some indication that azoxystrobin DOES provide additional vigor to the plants!

Have a look!
Attachments:
untreated4.jpg
untreated4.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
untreated2.jpg
untreated2.jpg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
untreated1.jpg
untreated1.jpg (2.13 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
untreated 3.jpg
untreated 3.jpg (1.01 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
azoxy4.jpg
azoxy4.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
azoxy3.jpg
azoxy3.jpg (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
azoxy2.jpg
azoxy2.jpg (2.54 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
azoxy1.jpg
azoxy1.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 2063 times
Dan V, VF TrapperKeeper liked this
By Dan V
davinstewart wrote: "I thought that there was no evidence that azoxystrobin enhances plant vigor BUT I'm just now starting to notice an interesting trend in the plants from my experiment. All of a sudden, the ones treated with azoxystrobin are putting out noticably larger traps than the untreated plants! I've kept all of the cultural conditions the same so this may be some indication that azoxystrobin DOES provide additional vigor to the plants!"

Well, that is an interesting development, a delayed reaction - maybe?

Food for thought,
The inconsistent results seen from using Scotts EX as a source of azoxystrobin are puzzling to be sure and even though Scotts EX was used in the original experiment (or demonstration of effectiveness) it may not be the ideal source of azoxystrobin for our purposes.
I've been following a post you may have seen, "POLLING INTEREST ON AZOXYSTROBIN LIQUID FORM" by jetfire245. polling-interest-on-azoxystrobin-liquid ... 55568.html He is looking at an azoxystrobin product called "Azoxy 2SC Select", liquid form, contains 22% azoxystrobin! The liquid form (Azoxy 2SC Select) is specifically produced to be used as a foliar spray and was tested specifically for the way we use it (as opposed to mixing the Scotts EX granules with water) and without the chance of the azoxystrobin separating from the water or the other ingredients clogging a sprayer.
By Jagasian
davinstewart wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:23 pm I thought that there was no evidence that azoxystrobin enhances plant vigor BUT I'm just now starting to notice an interesting trend in the plants from my experiment. All of a sudden, the ones treated with azoxystrobin are putting out noticably larger traps than the untreated plants! I've kept all of the cultural conditions the same so this may be some indication that azoxystrobin DOES provide additional vigor to the plants!
Thanks for sharing this experiment. If you search scholarly scientific publications using scholar.google.com (Google's research article search engine), you can see hundreds of peer reviewed articles discussing "azoxystrobin greening". Many plants have both greening and more vigorous growth, the prominent examples being food crops such as corn, rice, and wheat, where azoxystrobin has been most extensively researched because it allows for increasing food production. You can see in those publications that the results vary depending on the species and the cultivar. Some publications show experiment results for plant species that for some reason do not seem to benefit from azoxystrobin such as strawberries.

So it is highly likely that some cultivars of fly traps benefit from it, and others do not benefit from azoxystrobin. Same for other carnivorous plants. This is why it is a good idea for this community to be curious and experiment with new and different growing techniques, as well as ensure the community grows a diverse collection of cultivars.

In terms of breeding, the community should be trying to breed cultivars that are more resilient to skipping dormancy, more resistant to fungus and other diseases, and not just breeding for larger traps (though please keep doing that too because larger traps look really cool).
Dan V, davinstewart liked this
By davinstewart
Just re-read this thread and had a thought ... maybe I didn't have the lights cranked up high enough. I was running it at 40 DLI but maybe the best results don't occur until higher light levels. Maybe the benefit of azoxystrilobin is that it allows plants to tolerate higher light levels and harvest more energy without damage.

Might be worth testing this season.

From my perspective, though, I think there's no significant advantage to using azoxystrilobin on my plants ... unless I've got a problem with fungus.
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!