FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By gatoruss
I repotted (peat/silica sand mix) and am trying to acclimate 2 small vft I picked up from Lowes last weekend. I have had them outside in yard in partial shade under an oak tree. This morning (and maybe yesterday) my sprinkler came on (it is set on a timer) and the vfts were watered with city water (not sure what tds may be). I flushed pot with distilled water - which concerns me because I just watered the vfts the previous afternoon and medium was still quite damp).

And other suggestions?
By evenwind
You don't say where you are but you might be surprised if you check your tap water with a TDS meter. Some cities have excellent water. For instance, NYC water is typically in the 20 to 30ppm range - well under the 50ppm considered safe for CPs.
Intheswamp liked this
By jetfire245
evenwind wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 pm You don't say where you are but you might be surprised if you check your tap water with a TDS meter. Some cities have excellent water. For instance, NYC water is typically in the 20 to 30ppm range - well under the 50ppm considered safe for CPs.
Damn, how does a city that old maintain tds like that, surely that's not city wide?
By evenwind
Well, it could be the beautiful upstate reservoirs that supply the water but my personal theory is that hundreds of tons of pollutants get embedded in tourist's soles and depart the city from our bustling (and somewhat grungy) three airports.
By Intheswamp
Yeah, the TDS I would think depends on the source. Down in Florida I would think that municipal water comes from limestone aquifers. Our water is great tasting water and comes from a limestone aquifer…TDS stays around 325ppm. A TDS meter is about $15 on Amazon and is handy to have on hand. ;)
By gatoruss
Yes, I am in central Florida; in particular I live in Longwood Florida. My tap water does come from the aquifier. I have not been able to locate any data online regarding the TDS of my tap water, but I did order a TDS meter from Amazon last night, that should arrive tomorrow. I am curious to see how the water tests.
By Intheswamp
You’ll know what most of the water around you measures soon. It’s a good tool to have on hand. Check the first rainwater that falls and then the later rain that falls a few minutes later…the later rain usually tests cleaner, especially if it’s coming off a roof. Who knows…your tap water might surprise you. ;)
By Gary
I agree that the vfts will be fine. The small potted and container plants at my Lowes all get tap water from the same watering tank. I rescued one from Lowes earlier this year, and it was in really sad shape from being in the dark and getting bad water. It's huge now, and very healthy.
By gatoruss
Intheswamp wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:51 pm Who knows…your tap water might surprise you. ;)
The TDS from amazon arrive late last night. just tested my tap water - 188ppm.

EDIT: The "filtered" h2o from the fridge is 146.
By Intheswamp
Are you planning on collecting any rainwater?

ETA: From what I understand, and depending on what you're rainwater measures, you could possibly add two gallons of rainwater to one gallon of tap water and end up with three gallons of <50ppm water. With distilled water you could definitely add two gallons of distilled to one gallon tap and have three usable gallons.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!