FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all,
I'm looking into cultivating a terrestrial Utricularia indoors. Is anyone here doing this?
By Bluefire
I grow some terrestrial Utricularia indoors. I use the standard peat/ sand for the soil and keep the plants in a tray of rainwater. The water is usually very high, almost at soil level. The plants seem okay with that setup.
By TrapsAndDews
I am growing utricularia calycifida indoors to the side of my grow lights. The plants are in pure sphagnum and standing in a tray that is 1-2 cm tall. I have three flower stalks right now and the plants are growing well.
By NightRaider
Mostly same as both of the above. However, for most non-South American terrestrials, especially semi-aquatics or U. gibba, I either add or solely use some of the peat sludge that sinks to the bottom when rinsing peat, since I expect that's closer to their natural soil. Don't know that it makes much difference, but U. cornuta has done fantastic in it. Calycifida and its relative longifolia aren't technically epiphytics or Orchioides members, but they're similar enough I use either pure lfs or live sphagnum or a peat/perlite/lfs mix. For me, Calycifida seems to prefer the former while longifolia likes the latter. For water level, I maintain 1/4 to 1/2 up the pot for Calycifida/Longifolia/epiphytics and just above empty to 1/3 up for more typical terrestrials like sandersonii, unless they're a semi aquatic like cornuta in which case I keep them undrained and flood every few days.

Utricularia in general seem to be really flexible, so as long as you keep them sufficiently wet and use a peaty mix (for most terrestrials) you should be fine.
By Gary
Excellent info, thanks to all. I'll be looking at species that produce some prolific flowers.
By Bluefire
Gary wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:59 pm Excellent info, thanks to all. I'll be looking at species that produce some prolific flowers.
I get pretty frequent flowers from my U. bisquamata. I think the annuals flower more because they have a need to seed as their lifespans are shorter.
By Bug_cemetery
U. calcydifa and sandersonii are both easy to find and flower prolifically. U sandersonii seems happy and has flowered just about everywhere that I’ve put it. I haven’t succeeded in making longifolia happy enough to flower yet but hopefully I’ll get it figured out.
By Gary
Turns out that I have a U. subulata colony in one of my pots. It's not a problem, but at the moment it's just producing seeds. I'm going to yank up most of the stems, collect the seeds and start a dedicated pot. I learned that the non-flowering attribute is likely to stay with the new plants.
I've read some hints that there might be a way to force the flowers to open by tweaking the growing conditions, but none of the articles I found give any details.
Has anyone here heard rumours of such a thing?
By Huntsmanshorn
I had a colony of subulata once that would only flower when it received abundant direct sun, and the temps were 85+ for an extended period with warm nights. Might have been a humidity issue in there too but heat and humidity go hand in hand around here so who can say. By the way, dang those things are weeds.
By Gary
Hmm. The Sarr pot with the U. subulata has been getting tons of direct sun, warm days and nights, and the humidity is >50 % (it's monsoon season here in AZ). Must be a genetic thing?
By Bluefire
I have a pot of Utricularia that refuses to fully open, it's probably also subulata. It's also been outside in the scorching AZ sun during monsoon season. Still won't bloom, it sort of makes these buds that seem like they'll bloom but then they fall off and seeds from.
By Gary
Lol! I feel your pain.
May I ask where in AZ you're located?
By Gary
Aha! Yep, you are definitely getting some hot weather.
By Bluefire
Gary wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:27 am Aha! Yep, you are definitely getting some hot weather.
It's hot enough that the flytraps are burning and the capes needed to come in. Now, the question is, where in AZ are YOU?

I got your SASE for your March request the other d[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!