FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Tyler Dagger
ImageHi all, there's a bit of a saga in terms of affected conditions for my little plant (aka Planty McPlantface).

A month after I got it (a year ago), it was flowering, I read this means that the plant is at least 2 years old/also an adult.

I had kept it in a greenhouse outside for winter (live in Scotland) bc I thought that would be the best thing to do for its dormancy without the cold outright killing it.

Apparently it failed, so we didn't let it flower this year. I also moved house and repotted Planty into a taller, wider pot with the addition of a peat block/pearlite soil mix.

Planty is a fully indoor plant, and gets a ton of sun through a window without any filter on it from when the sun comes up to around 3pm. We keep the flat warm enough for it to be comfortable (to humans), and planty is watered every 3 days via a water distilling jug.

While moving it to a different room to water it, I noted that at 2 points it looks like the traps are growing from separate plants/different rhizome. Is this possible? Would I be able to separate them while preparing them for a fridge winter dormancy??

Pics of the now healthy Planty McPlantface attached
Attachments:
20220724_103018.jpg
20220724_103018.jpg (5.42 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
20220724_101331.jpg
20220724_101331.jpg (4.5 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
20220724_101313.jpg
20220724_101313.jpg (3.12 MiB) Viewed 1200 times
By Camden
That’s a division of a Venus flytrap. It’s completely normally and nothing to worry. You could A. Leave Planty McPlantface’s baby(might I pitch in “Jaws”)in the pot with him and let it grow, or B. When the division gets big enough, take it out of the mother pot and put him in his own. Preferably, if you do, you can do choice B. while its dormant so that you don’t give the chance to damage any roots and/or leaves that it has at the time.

Side note- Planty actually looks like he has two divisions. From the pictures, it looks Planty has a large amount of traps north? Up? that direction based on the pictures. I’d check in that cluster and see if there’s a growth point hidden in there.
By TrapsAndDews
Just remember, if you're dividing the flytrap, don't pry the division apart (this could possibly kill it if it hasn't gotten any roots yet), but instead pull on it lightly to see if the division comes off. If it doesn't come off, wait until next time you repot to separate it. My divisions just kind of fell off when I was repotting.

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!