FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Blooeywooey
So I have two VFTs- I think I have four actually due to the natural splitting they do. Two in each pot. Only one though is growing mutant traps. The oldest one. The traps almost lack teeth entirely, they also lack trigger hairs inside, as the traps grow, from baby leaf to big leaf, their traps remain open until they are actually supposed to open up. The leaves are also turning red and are very thin strong upright leaves. Theyre getting enough sun. I keep their substrate consistently wet, and let it become moist to justttt damp until I water it again. My four VFTs are kept in the same conditions, same sun, same water, same tray, the VFT that resides within the same pot as my mutant one is healthy, besides needing a bit more sun due to the bigger VFT blocking it's sun what could I do to fix the mutant traps? What's causing this?
By Blooeywooey
In the photo of one VFT pot- the thin leaves are the plant of interest. The wider ones is the positively healthy VFT that split from it. The photo of two VFTs is just showing the healthy one next to the mutant one.
Attachments:
IMG_20220720_185818842_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220720_185818842_HDR.jpg (4.44 MiB) Viewed 1237 times
IMG_20220720_185810142.jpg
IMG_20220720_185810142.jpg (4.08 MiB) Viewed 1237 times
By ChefDean
You say that the one on the right is a division of the one on the left? That would mean that the genetic expression should be identical, so look for environmental factors.
Right away, I see that the one on the left is too deeply planted. The difference in appearance could simply be that the plant is slowly being choked out, while the division is naturally growing at its correct depth. Lefty needs to be raised up a bit to about the point where the white of the rhizome transitions to the green of the leaves. Or simply remove some moss around the one side.
If they're typically kept side by side, a pest is unlikely, but not impossible. I don't see anything to indicate a pest, but you're closer, so take a good look.
Those are a couple of good jumping off points, check them out first.
By MaxVft
ChefDean wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:44 pm You say that the one on the right is a division of the one on the left? That would mean that the genetic expression should be identical, so look for environmental factors.
Either that or it’s a trait that only shows up as the plant matures, as some cultivars are?

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

Hey all, I wanted to ask about your thoughts on Pr[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!