FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Over winter I decided to try to grow my cephalotus outside and see if I could get something close to a dormancy for them, maybe even a flower. Their "dormancy" is usually described as them putting out noncarnivorous leaves. After a while it started terminating pitchers over and over and it was making me nervous but chalked it up to hardening. Then they did start growing non carnivorous leaves and they weren't kidding. This is what one of my Hummer's Giants is looking like outside right now :lol:. Previously it had about 6 leaves. I'll probably repot it in something larger and bring it in here soon. Thought I'd share one of their more quirky habits.
Attachments:
20220223_175201.jpg
20220223_175201.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 3453 times
EasyGrowsIt, MikeB, gouldian1 and 2 others liked this
By Apollyon
gouldian1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:52 pm Good looking plant. I still NEED to add one to my collection.
They're fun to grow. If you're ever interested in getting one, feel free to pm me. I have a few that are fairly mature
gouldian1 liked this
By madrone
Apollyon wrote:Thought I'd share one of their more quirky habits.
Whoa! I'd say that's a successful winter experiment - very cool!
By Dragonslayer126
Apollyon wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:02 pm Over winter I decided to try to grow my cephalotus outside and see if I could get something close to a dormancy for them, maybe even a flower. Their "dormancy" is usually described as them putting out noncarnivorous leaves. After a while it started terminating pitchers over and over and it was making me nervous but chalked it up to hardening. Then they did start growing non carnivorous leaves and they weren't kidding. This is what one of my Hummer's Giants is looking like outside right now :lol:. Previously it had about 6 leaves. I'll probably repot it in something larger and bring it in here soon. Thought I'd share one of their more quirky habits.
That's cool. I forgot that they can go dormant.
By Nocturne
Just transplanted my tiny ceph from Francis, it has adapated well and showing signs of growth. Won’t showoff gorgeously like the ones above anytime soon but still in love with it!Image
By Apollyon
Sometimes they'll really surprise you. Recently had a cutting that wasted no time putting out mature pitchers lol. It was pretty freaky. When it gets going it gets going
By Apollyon
When I brought in my larger plants, I decided to leave a few of them out there as an experiment to see what they could handle. Seeing as it's July (easily the hottest month here in Florida 9b) I wanted to see if cephs could be grown outside here. At thid point Im gonna go with "yes." but they definitely do better in more forgiving temps. They have that "wild" look about them now where it isnt bright an vibrant. Heres a pic of that same ceph growing out there getting about 8 hours direct sun.
Attachments:
20220718_094401.jpg
20220718_094401.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2015 times
plantnerdjules liked this
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!