FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
We had a "pickup" order at Wallyworld the other day. While we were working on the order I started looking for "pots" for flytraps and sundews...you know, essential things. ;)

Anyhow, I came up on this plastic cup. It appears durable with little flexing. I figure a 1/4" drill bit could make some quick drainage holes. I opted for the gray as it is the brightest, non-red color that they had. It's specs are:
3-5/16" top diameter
2-5/8" bottom diameter
6-5/8" tall
26-ounce capacity
Cost: $0.55 w/local tax included (not as cheap as the 20oz foam cups from Chic-Fil-A, though)

Kind of narrow, though. But, the bottom "corner" is pretty square so the cup seems to be rather stable. It might work for a low-growing flytrap that wants to hang over the edge of it's pot (or even an upright-growing one, I guess) or maybe a couple of sundews. I've used it a good bit so far...dipping water out of buckets.<grin>

Just thought I'd pass this on in case someone's looking for a narrow but tall pot. FWIW. :)
Attachments:
IMG_5300 (Custom).JPG
IMG_5300 (Custom).JPG (285.25 KiB) Viewed 667 times
Last edited by Intheswamp on Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
evenwind, Sundews69 liked this
By MikeB
The big, plastic, stadium cups make decent pots, too:
Staduim cup.jpg
Staduim cup.jpg (61.35 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Its dimensions are similar to your gray Walmart cup. Fringe benefit: they're free. The franchise owner doesn't mind me fishing them out of the trash since I end up doing the recycling separation for him.

One note about the drain holes: drill them around the side, not in the bottom.
Drain holes.jpg
Drain holes.jpg (14.59 KiB) Viewed 614 times
These cups are designed to sit flat. With bottom holes, they won't drain properly (unless they're sitting in a ribbed tray). With side drain holes, they work fine.
By Intheswamp
Yep, gotta drill'em in the sides. I grow vegetable seedlings in styrofoam cups and place them in 16qt Sterilite containers so the drain holes have to be in the sides of the cups. This photo will give you an idea of how I use styrofoam cups for my vegetable seedlings. Btw, the pencil is a wonderful tool....the point dibbles the planting hole, picks up the seed (moistened by the moist soil it just made the hole in) and drops it in the hole, the eraser firms the soil around the seed, and finally the point is used again to put drain holes in the cup. ...and everybody thought pencils were just for writing with! :lol:
Attachments:
IMG_4279 (Custom).JPG
IMG_4279 (Custom).JPG (290.29 KiB) Viewed 612 times
By Intheswamp
I've got some small white pots I'm using for...small plants. :lol: Mostly sundews. I've been looking for a low-sided tray for them so that when it rained it wouldn't flood them but would hold some of the rain water. I was at Wallyworld today and saw a cousin to the gray cup that started this thread. It is 10.5"square by 0.75"deep. It's the same price as the cup....$0.50 each. I got one and moved three cups of sundews out of their fancy Styrofoam multi-compartment plate to this one. I wish they had them in white, but I think gray is about as lightest a color as they come in. I checked it out and I should be able to fit nine of these small 2.75" square pots on the tray...six pots with plenty of elbow room between them! ;)
IMG_5618pp (Custom).jpg
IMG_5618pp (Custom).jpg (352.99 KiB) Viewed 104 times
I also took a page from MikeB's playbook and grabbed some large plastic cups from a place we ate lunch at recently. I really gotta plug the place...EXCELLENT FOOD!!! :mrgreen: . I only had one of these cups at my table but I told the nice girl that was waiting on us that I was going to plant flytraps in the one I had...so she brought me two more!!!!! COOL!!! :D
IMG_5619 (Custom).JPG
IMG_5619 (Custom).JPG (317.65 KiB) Viewed 104 times
Anyhow, just thought I'd share this...
MikeB liked this

Ah, yeah. My ventricosa only basaled when it was n[…]

Holy crap look what I found!

Maybe it was a piece of rhizome and you have a s[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1045. I'll PM[…]

Ok, thanks. I found one for $55. Whoa, whoa[…]

Cotton wick pots?

It would depend also on the design of the pot, too[…]

Accidental watering w/city water

Are you planning on collecting any rainwater? ETA[…]

Well again, I am acclimating it so keep that in mi[…]

Escape room game fun

Your flytrap needs better soil, and those incandes[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!