FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Hey everyone,

I harvested my D. burmannii 'Humpty Doo' seed about two weeks ago and then about a week ago I planted some in just a random pot with some madagascariensis cuttings. With them being very fresh, I thought they would have germinated by now. I also want to send in my first seed bank donation soon, but I want to make sure they'll do something for anyone who might request them so instead of waiting to see if they germinate, I thought I would see if they are actually viable. I harvested the seed a little early I think. It wasn't really my fault cause I shook the flower and it just dumped a ton of seeds. I think you can tell from a picture so here:
20220701_113504.jpg
20220701_113504.jpg (5.23 MiB) Viewed 1505 times
How do they look?
By optique
Humpty Doo likes it hot. raise the temp to the 80's and it will germinate much faster.
By NightRaider
If just shaking it dumped the seed out, you should be fine. I normally don't expect to see germination on most things for 3-4 weeks, and as said above it'll take longer with lower temps. Actually, a few minutes ago I just rediscovered a tube of brevifolia seeds from last November I'd tossed aside after waiting 2+ months for germination, and at least half the seeds had germinated in the meantime...
By ChefDean
If you shook the stalk and the seed spilled out, it was ready.
Testing some seeds is always a good idea, but a week isn't typically long enough to see germination. Fresh seed for most dews is around two weeks, but, like Optique said, burmannii like it warm. If you're trying to germinate them at room temp, expect them to be slow to show.
By Sundews69
Ok, thank you all! I didn't know burmannii liked it toasty. I always thought burmannii had fast germination and were just fine at room temps. It is pretty warm where they're germinating though because they're only inches away from a hot light.
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:03 pm Looks viable, maybe pick out the small pieces of chaff.
Yeah, I plan to take as much as I can get out before it heads to the seed bank.
Advice On Using Pool

Agreed. Simply setting all your plants in them as-[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Cool. Thank you.

The only suggestion I have is to watch the new gro[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but t[…]

Just under two weeks left in the contest and here […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!