FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Panman
I'm looking for a recommendation of a lowland plant that is fairly easy to grow and has a compact growth habit. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Panman on Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Camden
Try a Rafflesiana; (Edit: just realized you said compact, Don’t try Rafflesiana then :D :lol: )
Attachments:
Upper
Upper
67CE5632-2591-471F-9890-38421737FDBA.jpeg (22.16 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Lower
Lower
07D5683A-B09B-49B7-8572-2CA1B458938F.jpeg (34.24 KiB) Viewed 2921 times
Last edited by Camden on Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Panman, Supercazzola liked this
By Bluefire
Gracilis or ampullaria? They readily basal, so I hear, which would make it easier to trim any irritating vines.
Attachments:
Ampullaria
Ampullaria
image.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 2919 times
By Bluefire
Camden M wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:28 pm Try a Rafflesiana;
Doesn’t raff get massive?
Actually, don’t most lowlanders grow giant leaves with little pitchers (proportionally) on the end?
By That one plant boi
By "compact" I just realized you probably weren't talking about Vining, and instead, overall size.

I think a good smaller candidate would be zakriana, formerly fusca flared peristome. It typically is grown as an intermediate, but it has been doing well under lowland conditions for me. It grows a bit slower and doesn't have a very wide leaf span, so I think it would do well as a starter nepenthes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

By Sundews69
I think ampullaria, gracilis, or albomarginata are the best small-ish ones. Ampullaria rarely vines and usually only forms lots of small basals covering the media; gracilis just stays small; and albomarginata doesn't vine too much, but it does more often than ampullaria. It's a slow grower though so a baby plant would take a while to vine (I think).
By ChefDean
None of them really stay small that I've heard of, but a Lady Luck does seem to basal readily, so it seems to stay compact and bushy just by shooting out babies. That way, if it does vine, you'll feel less sorry about cutting it as you'll probably have a few basals to absorb the loss.
Mine shot out four basals the first year, two of which I trimmed and sent to Supercazzola when I repotted it.
By Camden
Another great one, almost as hardy as Ventrata, is N. khasiana… if you can find it.

All of these mentioned can stay compact if you keep them trimmed, which in fact is a way to trigger more basal and pitcher growth.
By Nepenthes0260
N. campanulata is a very unique, compact, lowland species… that is, if you’re able to keep it happy :lol: . Most other lowland species are very vigorous and grow to monstrous proportions or stay smaller in terms of leaf size but produce crazy long vines.
By scarlet-moon-83
For lowland that stay compact for years, its n. adnata

https://i.imgur.com/SEffTAd.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/RVT5hVN.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/uuXNp42.jpeg

Or nepenthes ampullaria under very strong lights. They still grow long branches, but you could always prune them.

Or nepenthes campanulata, but this one are slightly harder. They're lowlander but prefer slightly cooler temperatures than usual lowland.

Other lowlander are typically large plants with small but numerous a active pitchers. Lowland with large leaves & large pitchers are sumatrana & merrilliana.
By tzestan
Depends on whether you are looking for lowlanders that would likely grow well as intermediates, or lowlanders that would do well in typical tropical lowland environment. The plants are slightly different.

In the former case, probably albomarginata, bellii and madagascariensis. The latter would be gracilis, mirabilis and rafflesiana. Bellii and madagascariensis are relatively small. The others will make vines of several meters long. Bicalcarata can grow easily in lowland environment, but would struggle as intermediate. Plant choice depends on what condition you can provide.

Very few compact size lowland plants are good starters. Campanulata and adnata are small, but they are not starter plants.
Camden liked this
Hello, New to the forum

Welcome to the forum! We have a horrible deer i[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mine[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!