FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Bluefire
Panman wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:59 pm
Bluefire wrote:Hello. I’m the lunatic who kills every Sarracenia purpurea they come across.
Purps are my favorite. I just recently added some new locations.
Looks like we’re opposites…
How do you grow your purps?
By Panman
Bluefire wrote:Looks like we’re opposites…
I'm in Atlanta, so it is hot and humid. They grow outside. My taller pots always sit in 1 inch of water. For the smaller pots, I refill the trays when they are empty. I think it is the humidity that they love.
By Bluefire
Hm. Well, the one I just got is sitting in water now so hopefully it makes it. I may well have underwatered the rest, I easily forget plants if they’re outdoors.
By Dragonslayer126
Bluefire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:03 pm Hi there. I am new to social media/ forums and have no clue how these work, but figured I ought to join at least one in case I have questions about my plants and need to ask.

I mainly grow Nepenthes, though I have quite a few sundews (mom likes them too much) and butterworts. I’m interested in acquiring more Heliamohora and diversifying into every carnivorous plant genus that I can keep alive.

I’ve had some of my plants for years, others are more recent acquisitions. I enjoy drawing/ doing art of my plants as well as photographing them. I’m interested in raising plants to flowering age to create my own hybrids and want to be a botanist after I graduate college.
Hello I see you love nepenthes too. Nice Bical in the first picture.(I'm assuming it is) I had a growing environment for lowlands.
By Bluefire
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:15 am
Bluefire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:03 pm Hi there. I am new to social media/ forums and have no clue how these work, but figured I ought to join at least one in case I have questions about my plants and need to ask.

I mainly grow Nepenthes, though I have quite a few sundews (mom likes them too much) and butterworts. I’m interested in acquiring more Heliamohora and diversifying into every carnivorous plant genus that I can keep alive.

I’ve had some of my plants for years, others are more recent acquisitions. I enjoy drawing/ doing art of my plants as well as photographing them. I’m interested in raising plants to flowering age to create my own hybrids and want to be a botanist after I graduate college.
Hello I see you love nepenthes too. Nice Bical in the first picture.(I'm assuming it is) I had a growing environment for lowlands.
It is a bical. Had it a few years from a tiny plant. I don’t know if it was seed grown or tissue cultured, therefore don’t have a clone number or any further specifications.

Regardless of small details, the bical is one of my favorite plants. It has put up with a lot of nonsense (I received it in a peat/ sand mix and had to repot it to more appropriate media, it dealt with a cold winter and made deformed pitchers, it was driven across the country). I just think it’s neat. The fangs make any guest stare.
By Dragonslayer126
Bluefire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:11 pm
Bluefire wrote:Hello. I’m the lunatic who kills every Sarracenia purpurea they come across.
Looks like we’re opposites…
I have massive purps, I just keep it indoors until winter comes, in a tray of distilled water 1-2 inches deep at all times under lights, potted in sphagnum(peat and perlite 50/50 is okay too). They flourish. They're really easy. In the winter I put them in a sunroom for dormancy because it gets too cold for them. I have 2 purpurea subspecies purpurea in peat moss outside year round since they can survive where I live. I just keep them in 1-2 inches high water tray of rain/distilled water, in full sun, in the winter I take the tray out and just water them from the top when the soil gets dry which takes every 2 weeks I would say, or even more.
By Dragonslayer126
I'm so jealous of you're purps, especially the one at the end on the right.
By Dragonslayer126

Wait, does that bical have 2 fangs, from the angle it looks like it only has one.
By Bluefire
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 am

Wait, does that bical have 2 fangs, from the angle it looks like it only has one.
It has two fangs, the pitcher was just in a weird spot so it was hard to get a good shot. From the side, it appears to have just one fang.
By Panman
Dragonslayer126 wrote:I'm so jealous of you're purps, especially the one at the end on the right.
That's a S. rosea 'Chipola Giant'.
Attachments:
20211203_133446.jpg
20211203_133446.jpg (2.84 MiB) Viewed 2281 times
By MaxVft
Bluefire wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:48 pm I kind of want to use one of my plants as a profile image. Any way to shrink the file so it fits? Trying file size “small” and then submitting produces a blank screen.
Hey and welcome to the forums! You can use this website here to bypass the maximum 100px size: https://tools.picsart.com/image/resize/ ... rVEALw_wcB
By Bluefire
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:22 am

Here are some better images.
Attachments:
This bical has never had a tooth pulled.
This bical has never had a tooth pulled.
F864FB0C-AC3D-4CF5-9EC3-1CD244E7ADAA.jpeg (743.16 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Older pitcher
Older pitcher
3A9DFD3D-82A4-40C8-9BE8-D2278FCF396B.jpeg (719.07 KiB) Viewed 2276 times
Camden liked this
By Bluefire
Camden M wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:44 pm Jeezzz… how long does it take a bical to get to looking like that!?
I’ve had it for two, bordering on three, years (I think). It had a 3.5” leaf span when I got it. No fangs, only generic baby pitchers that were dying back. Took off like a rocket upon arriving home and has only ever complained about winter being cold. Otherwise, it grows like a weed.
Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!