FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nikson
Hey all,

I recently planted some cape sundew seeds in a pot, but today I noticed some fungus gnats managed to get into the LFSM. I have mosquito bits around from controlling the fungus gnat infestation from a month ago, and I was wondering, will they work on the seedlings if I bottom water and just float the bits in the water tray?

Or do I have to top water with the mosquito dunk soaked water to kill them?
By Intheswamp
I'm curious about something with the mosquito dunks/bits. If you're storing rainwater in a a large container like barrel or garbage can and you use the mosquito dunks/bits to keep mosquitoes from raising there, wouldn't that mean that you're constantly treating the plants for fungus and fungus gnats? Any harm in constant use of the dunks/bits?
By za419
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm I'm curious about something with the mosquito dunks/bits. If you're storing rainwater in a a large container like barrel or garbage can and you use the mosquito dunks/bits to keep mosquitoes from raising there, wouldn't that mean that you're constantly treating the plants for fungus and fungus gnats? Any harm in constant use of the dunks/bits?
There shouldn't be any, in theory. Mosquito dunks/bits use a specific strain of bacteria that infect and kill mosquitos and fungus gnats - Those bacteria can't attack plants (or humans for that matter - We are closer to mosquitos than plants are), so the plants shouldn't mind their presence.

Of course in practice most of the bit is binding material, which could build up on the roots and damage plants if it's the wrong stuff and you're constantly using it - I'm not sure what they make it out of, so maybe someone else will weigh in on that.
Intheswamp liked this
By Bug_cemetery
I had a nasty gnat infestation for awhile and added bits of mosquito dunks to all of my indoor trays (drosera, pinguicula) for several months with no issues, no evidence of plant stress. Went on vacation and missed the treatment schedule… about 2 weeks later had a plague level outbreak! I put all the plants in clear bins or clear bags of they were big just to contain things while I figured out what to do. Turns out it was only my huge fiddle leaf fig that was the source- none of the tray watered plants with dunks had any problem.
Nikson, Intheswamp liked this
Counting to infinity.

Ah, yeah. My ventricosa only basaled when it was n[…]

Holy crap look what I found!

Maybe it was a piece of rhizome and you have a s[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1045. I'll PM[…]

Ok, thanks. I found one for $55. Whoa, whoa[…]

Cotton wick pots?

It would depend also on the design of the pot, too[…]

Accidental watering w/city water

Are you planning on collecting any rainwater? ETA[…]

Well again, I am acclimating it so keep that in mi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!