FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By frankgrimes087
I was watering my Polish Dracula when I happened to notice these marks on the side of one of the traps. To be honest I really do not think that it is spider mites because it just does not like the usual damage caused by spider mites and for the most part the flytrap seems healthy but at the same time I'm just not quite sure what to make of it. I put the pictures on my computer and zoomed in really close and I do not see any spider mites so could it possibly be some type of stress or trauma?

I circled the parts in the pictures that I am talking about.

As always any help is very much appreciated!
Attachments:
PolishD2'.jpg
PolishD2'.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1704 times
polishD1.jpg
polishD1.jpg (3.68 MiB) Viewed 1704 times
By VFTnPups
Can you take a pic of the whole plant and also along and under the leaf blades? It looks like there could be mites on the leaf blade next to your first circled trap, but it could be my old eyes playing tricks on me. You should be able to see them in person up close. Tiny unmoving reddish/brownish/orange dots. They seem to like to hide under the petioles whenever I’ve had them.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
VFTnPups wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:42 pm Can you take a pic of the whole plant and also along and under the leaf blades? It looks like there could be mites on the leaf blade next to your first circled trap, but it could be my old eyes playing tricks on me. You should be able to see them in person up close. Tiny unmoving reddish/brownish/orange dots. They seem to like to hide under the petioles whenever I’ve had them.
I asked Matt about it and he really thought that it was mites because of the sort of browning damage that they do so I went ahead and did a treatment. I see what he is talking about, mine must just not be to far along yet. I really don't like to spray unless necessary but I do not want mites to get out of hand.
By VFTnPups
frankgrimes087 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 pm I asked Matt about it and he really thought that it was mites because of the sort of browning damage that they do so I went ahead and did a treatment. I see what he is talking about, mine must just not be to far along yet. I really don't like to spray unless necessary but I do not want mites to get out of hand.
Yeah, mites are the one thing I will reluctantly spray to treat. They can be so difficult to get rid of. Just remember to treat again in a few days to get rid of eggs and hatchlings. If they come back later in the year, use a different chemical than this time, so the mites don’t become resistant to treatment.
frankgrimes087 liked this
By frankgrimes087
VFTnPups wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:36 pm
frankgrimes087 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 pm I asked Matt about it and he really thought that it was mites because of the sort of browning damage that they do so I went ahead and did a treatment. I see what he is talking about, mine must just not be to far along yet. I really don't like to spray unless necessary but I do not want mites to get out of hand.
Yeah, mites are the one thing I will reluctantly spray to treat. They can be so difficult to get rid of. Just remember to treat again in a few days to get rid of eggs and hatchlings. If they come back later in the year, use a different chemical than this time, so the mites don’t become resistant to treatment.
Most definitely and for sure! Thanks for the help it is much appreciated!
alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! […]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!