FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By jetfire245
Plants love the rain. Read that fact on Google. Not sure if anyone here knew that. 😜

I tried growing some capensis seeds outside recently and then we instantly had a huge storm that washed all of them away.

I live in Florida so unexpected rain happens frequently.

What the heck am I supposed to do? I figured it'd be easiest to just get the seeds going outside considering our smoldering heat and humidity but I'm not wasting more seeds until I know for a fact that they won't just wash away.

I'm positive someone has experience with this. I just can't really find solutions anywhere.
By ChefDean
Next time, do everything you did before, but under a cover of some sort. Under a covered porch. Under a table. Under something. They'll still get indirect sunlight and do just fine. That is, of course, if the heat doesn't fry them.
By jetfire245
ChefDean wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:39 pm Next time, do everything you did before, but under a cover of some sort. Under a covered porch. Under a table. Under something. They'll still get indirect sunlight and do just fine. That is, of course, if the heat doesn't fry them.
This has been the bane of my existence. I live in a subdivision. And coverage/shade is very hard to come by. The only thing to protect my seedlings in the yard is small outdoor table - and that's already crowded underneath.

Are there any solutions I can buy? Fabric covering, overhead covering of some kind?
By ChefDean
You don't want to use a plastic bag, that could easily fry them in Florida. Depending on how crafty you are, you could get some shade cloth and build a cover. Rain will still get through, but much more gently than the pounding storms.
By jetfire245
ChefDean wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:47 am You don't want to use a plastic bag, that could easily fry them in Florida. Depending on how crafty you are, you could get some shade cloth and build a cover. Rain will still get through, but much more gently than the pounding storms.
Plastic bag didn't sound good in heat. I really need to think about a way to rig some shade cloth maybe... Find the least light reducing material.

I will prevail one way or the other...
By Intheswamp
Find a window screen somewhere to cover the pots. Figure out how to support it...upended spare pots at each corner, four sticks stuck into the ground at each corner or whatever. Be sure to secure the screen with something to keep it from blowing off in the wind...some weights around the edges, zipties, etc.,. Sundews don't require direct sunlight like flytraps and pitchers do, and some sundews do better with less.
Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!