FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:58 pm Gosh, DCXL x FTS MAroon Monster sounds awesome! Maybe I'll wait for that instead.....

Also, woohoo! 1000 posts!
Whatever you do, don't post another message until you've had a chance to bask in the glow of the GRAND 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :mrgreen: A milestone that your children will one day celebrate on June 23rd of each year and will be passed on to generations to come!!!! :D

ETA: DAGNABBIT!!!!! I was too late, you done tripped the meter to 1001!!!!! :o :lol:
Sundews69 liked this
By ChefDean
thepitchergrower wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm Really, the seedlings can only be labeled as typicals... Hopefully genetics plays out and the seedlings grow into large trap plants.
Yes. Because a cultivar is a very specific set of genes, expressed in a very specific way, to get the characteristics shown by the plant. Sexual reproduction splits up and mixes these genes, making it a near impossibility that the seed grown plant has the same genetic expression. The only way to guarantee the exact same genetic expression is through vegetative propagation.
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:36 pmI understand that all flytrap plants are "typicals" and I figure most people understand that (at least the ones who would have access to Tier 2). But, having the DCXL x DCXL name attachment lets someone know there's a good chance there will be some DNA in there that may lean towards large DCXL plant characteristics, as you noted. Basically a pointer to the parent lineage rather than stating that it is a different species. Of course, any of these seeds could revert back to a tiny Walmart rescue plant...I kinda doubt that would happen but it is possible. :)
Yes.
The DCXL x DCXL label tells you that the "mother" plant and "father" plant are both labeled DCXL, but it doesn't necessarily indicate that there is a higher likelihood of any specific phenotype. Seed grown will always* have a different genotype, even from an x self. (*still possible, but a very tiny possibility of a chance of a prospect of a probability of a hope)
With 21,000+ genes spread over 32 chromosomes in a normal cell (16 per gamete), there are over 446 million different genetic combinations that could emerge from that soup. Toss in gene alleles and other factors, and you have a potential for over 4.3 trillion combinations.
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:50 pmDean, you ever seen a kitten grab a giant catfish head and drag it away, growling and snarling like a 35-pound bobcat at any creature that dares get within striking distance of it?
Nope, I can't stand cats, they're evil.
This is what cats are good for, IMO.
Nep kitty.jpg
Nep kitty.jpg (113 KiB) Viewed 648 times
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 pm <snip...>
With 21,000+ genes spread over 32 chromosomes in a normal cell (16 per gamete), there are over 446 million different genetic combinations that could emerge from that soup. Toss in gene alleles and other factors, and you have a potential for over 4.3 trillion combinations.
See? With only 4.3 trillion combinations you have an excellent chance of a hope of a possibility of a dream of a thought of getting an exact clone of the parents!!! Simple!
ChefDean liked this
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:22 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:50 pmDean, you ever seen a kitten grab a giant catfish head and drag it away, growling and snarling like a 35-pound bobcat at any creature that dares get within striking distance of it?
Nope, I can't stand cats, they're evil.
This is what cats are good for, IMO.
Nep kitty.jpg
Ah, a kindred soul. Interestingly, I "babysitted" my eldest granddaughter's kitten one afternoon. Sadly, it is no longer "with us". "Dearly departed, we are gathered here..." Wait, that's not the way that goes is it?....

(Ok, I got this message attached to the correct quote...this is getting very intense!!!!)
ChefDean liked this
All Mineral Media

I just got the Pinguicula soil mix from CalCarn […]

Counting to infinity.

FTS Deep Red Guerrilla

they are waking up! https://i.imgur.com/d7iJ3aF.[…]

What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!