FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By camsdad66
Unfortunately, my big, beautiful S. Flava "Black Veins" that had thrown out the largest pitcher I've ever grown in my many decades growing CPs (see green and happy photos!) has taken a huge turn for the worst! As in, it may have croaked! I don't get it! Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. All I can say is it's in a pot (garden bowl) with several other Sarracenia, so I'm gonna rule out disease and pests....y'all agree?? I mean we have had a scorching heat wave down here in the south, maybe it just couldn't take it. Anyway, do yall think I should dig it up and see if anything looks alive, or just leave it alone and see if anything "rises from the dead" later?? Image
Appreciate any help!ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

By Supercazzola
Without examining the rhizome you can’t rule out disease. Hopefully any pathogens don’t spread to other plants.
By DragonsEye
I would agree with Super --- check the rhizome. If it is diseased, there might be a useful section that hasn't been lethally infected. If the whole thing is mush, then you know.
By Camden
camsdad66 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:44 am Unfortunately, my big, beautiful S. Flava "Black Veins" that had thrown out the largest pitcher I've ever grown in my many decades growing CPs (see green and happy photos!) has taken a huge turn for the worst! As in, it may have croaked! I don't get it! Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. All I can say is it's in a pot (garden bowl) with several other Sarracenia, so I'm gonna rule out disease and pests....y'all agree?? I mean we have had a scorching heat wave down here in the south, maybe it just couldn't take it. Anyway, do yall think I should dig it up and see if anything looks alive, or just leave it alone and see if anything "rises from the dead" later?? Image

Cam to cam,
I feel so bad for you! The Rafflesiana and now this! Things just aren’t going well for you :x 😔
By thepitchergrower
From what I heard, the flava "Black Vein" clones are rot prone. Maybe it wasn't entirely your fault.
By camsdad66
Camden M wrote:
camsdad66 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:44 am Unfortunately, my big, beautiful S. Flava "Black Veins" that had thrown out the largest pitcher I've ever grown in my many decades growing CPs (see green and happy photos!) has taken a huge turn for the worst! As in, it may have croaked! I don't get it! Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. All I can say is it's in a pot (garden bowl) with several other Sarracenia, so I'm gonna rule out disease and pests....y'all agree?? I mean we have had a scorching heat wave down here in the south, maybe it just couldn't take it. Anyway, do yall think I should dig it up and see if anything looks alive, or just leave it alone and see if anything "rises from the dead" later?? Image

Cam to cam,
I feel so bad for you! The Rafflesiana and now this! Things just aren’t going well for you :x Image
Thanks, Cam! It's OK, I've lost more plants than I can remember over the years. But some do hurt more than others!

By camsdad66
thepitchergrower wrote:From what I heard, the flava "Black Vein" clones are rot prone. Maybe it wasn't entirely your fault.
Perhaps! Always seems like I lose the prettiest and/or biggest and nicest! Maybe I over watered....but it seemed to be doing great until the scorching heat wave.

By steve booth
When was the last time you repotted it? totally crispy like that is normally lack of water (not in this case as it stands in water) a pathogen of some sort, but unlikely as the other plants haven't caught it, or mineral burn (possibly from old media losing its acidity and breaking down).
Shame you lost it, they are nice plants
Cheers
Steve
By camsdad66
Hi Steve,
It was potted along with the other plants in that bowl in Spring. Only other thing I can surmise is that the crown was over shaded by other plants and didn't get enough light and/or airflow. But that's a stretch at best. Here's what the other plants in the pot look like. No apparent issues. Image

By steve booth
Ahh I see what you mean, I didn't realise it was in the same pot. It is a funny one then, no obvious cause as far as I can see.
Cheers
Steve
By camsdad66
steve booth wrote:Ahh I see what you mean, I didn't realise it was in the same pot. It is a funny one then, no obvious cause as far as I can see.
Cheers
Steve
Right, Steve. It's a mystery of sorts. I'm considering digging up the remains and see if anything is still alive. If so, I'll post photos either way!

Camden, Sundews69 liked this
By madrone
camsdad66 wrote: I'm considering digging up the remains and see if anything is still alive. If so, I'll post photos either way!
Dang - sorry you lost that stunner. Or, maybe there's a live portion remaining? Any updates from your excavation?
By camsdad66
madrone wrote:
camsdad66 wrote: I'm considering digging up the remains and see if anything is still alive. If so, I'll post photos either way!
Dang - sorry you lost that stunner. Or, maybe there's a live portion remaining? Any updates from your excavation?
Yes, madrone! Happy to report there is some "life after death"!! Saw some greenery coming up from the brown, dead areas. I'll try to post a photo later. Thanks for asking!!

By Apollyon
I was about to say, I have an "improved black veins" clone I divided that's killing it right now so I was about to do the Nep thing :lol: Glad it's coming back. I wouldn't rule out pests entirely however. I have a community of Sarrs growing side by side that got hit pretty hard with pests but some were targeted before others. It could be they latched to that particular plant first. It's unlikely but it wouldn't hurt to double check the other plants. I ended up treating all of them because god forbid there are eggs or a lone pack that migrated before I treated them. Like with the Nepenthes though, I got you if it doesn't work out. Good luck!
By Camden
Apollyon wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:24 pm I have a community of Sarrs growing side by side that got hit pretty hard with pests but some were targeted before others. It could be they latched to that particular plant first. It's unlikely but it wouldn't hurt to double check the other plants. I ended up treating all of them because god forbid there are eggs or a lone pack that migrated before I treated them.
It’s almost like they strategically planned for it. :|

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!