FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Kkaitlin12
I just purchased 4 Venus Flytraps, I moved them outside today! I live in Florida in a wooded area and there are so many bugs. I witnessed 5 traps close due to flies walking on the traps and escaping before it could close. Will this harm my VFT? I had them indoors under grow lights and they were doing great but because of the dormancy issue I want them to thrive and that can only happen if they are outdoors. Also, are these self watering pots okay? The sun and heat in FL is so strong they will dry out pretty quick if I use a tray! I appreciate any feedback😊!
Attachments:
3F57DA58-5AF5-4C01-A0BD-C5C0CE8A3366.jpeg
3F57DA58-5AF5-4C01-A0BD-C5C0CE8A3366.jpeg (3.44 MiB) Viewed 5191 times
By thepitchergrower
I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the traps closing does take up energy, but if there are so many flies, it's only a matter of time before it actually catches one...
By Sundews69
thepitchergrower wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:46 pm I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, the traps closing does take up energy, but if there are so many flies, it's only a matter of time before it actually catches one...
Yeah, I does take energy, but you shouldn't need to worry too much.
By Panman
You need to pay attention to the water level in those self watering pots. Those pots look to be about 5 inches tall. If that is the case, you aren't going to want more than 1/4 of an inch of water sitting in the bottom. Flytrap roots are about 5 to 6 inches tall, and they do not like to have the tips constantly submerged in water.
Dan V liked this
By Kkaitlin12
Thank you for that advice! I’ll definitely re-pot them next spring into bigger/deeper pots. Thankfully they are babies so the roots weren’t very long yet when I potted them. Have you had any issues with rain? Worried about the afternoon storms here taking them out 😭
By tommyr
Kkaitlin12 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:44 pm I just purchased 4 Venus Flytraps, I moved them outside today! I live in Florida in a wooded area and there are so many bugs. I witnessed 5 traps close due to flies walking on the traps and escaping before it could close. Will this harm my VFT? I had them indoors under grow lights and they were doing great but because of the dormancy issue I want them to thrive and that can only happen if they are outdoors. Also, are these self watering pots okay? The sun and heat in FL is so strong they will dry out pretty quick if I use a tray! I appreciate any feedback😊!
It will be just fine, no worries.
By mhal408
Kkaitlin12 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:44 pm Also, are these self watering pots okay?
Your pots are so pretty, anyway i used self watering pots before, worked out fine, but my pot can split into 2 horizontally, so even if you pour a lot of water from the top, it will overflow and maintain a water line though i still thinks the water is a bit excessive.
Attachments:
The lfs has decay sp the soil level has drop
The lfs has decay sp the soil level has drop
Screenshot_20220830-083706_Instagram.jpg (250.57 KiB) Viewed 3769 times

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!