FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sundews69
Oh, well dryness mixed with light intensity is usually the problem for me.
By Intheswamp
Sundews69 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:48 am Oh, well dryness mixed with light intensity is usually the problem for me.
Looking at the "burned" spots it definitely looks like something that was left slightly too long long beneath the broiler in the oven. :? It "looks" like it's some type of cyanobacteria...it is dark colored, appearing blackish but could be very dark blue-green, and wet/shiny-looking. ???
By TrapsAndDews
KategoricalKarnivore wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:12 am That is humic acid buildup on the tips of the sphagnum. That is where water evaporates off the moss and leaves behind any impurities that were in the water. To get it off take a moist paper towel and lay it on top of the moss. It will soak up the humic acid into the paper fairly quickly. Also go ahead and flush your media a few times with clean water to help rinse out some of the humic acid.
Intheswamp liked this
By Intheswamp
I believe @TrapsAndDews and @thepitchergrower are on the right trail. Googling "humic acid sphagnum moss" is turning up several hits regarding humic acid affecting sphagnum moss and even more advanced plants.

Besides what was quoted above to do about the humic acid buildup, I've seen it stated to use less peat moss...I guess this means go with more pure sphagnum moss...???

Also, plants can acquire the buildup just like the moss can and might be confused as "rotting" or "burning". One user uses a turkey baster to rinse the crowns of his sundews with distilled water, followed by a gentle wiping using a wet q-tip and then another rinse.

I think I'm going to use the paper towel and then give my sarrs a good flushing! :D
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Intheswamp
I'm not sure how much the paper towel dabbling helped, but I don't think it hurt anything! :geek: It did show that there was *something* to be absorbed or washed away there, though. After I took the paper towels out I then moved the pots over to an area where I could flush them good with some rainwater. Naturally lots of tannin and whatever came out. I did probably four flushes. I took the picture after the darker water had spilled over the edge and I also spilled, shaky as I am<grin>, clear rain water onto the surface so the actual flushed water was much darker than what this shows.
By Intheswamp
Dagnabbit!!!! Everytime I want to hit the "Submit" button I end up hitting the "Preview" button. And the last time when I wanted to preview my post I hit the "Submit" button!!!! :lol:

Ok, here's the shot of the drainwater...
IMG_4969 (Custom).JPG
IMG_4969 (Custom).JPG (281.68 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Here's a before picture, pre-papertowel and pre-flush...
IMG_7731a (Custom).JPG
IMG_7731a (Custom).JPG (584.37 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
And, here's a shot of after the clean-up job. I'm not sure how much difference it will make, but I think the flushing will do the plants good in helping remove impurities regardless if it helps or doesn't help with the humic acid.
IMG_4976_Humic_acid_rinsed (Custom).jpg
IMG_4976_Humic_acid_rinsed (Custom).jpg (485.71 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
Btw, this is a luxury-edition seedling pot that I ordered from Aliexpress...it came with its own flying ferilizer bag. :lol:
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!