FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By MissPing
Hello

I have slowly built up a collection of Mexican Pings and now I have 15 over 9 species. I currently have them about 12” under a sun blaster LED 6400K T5 and they grow well but every single one is green. My cyclosecta was purple when I bought it so I know it can change colour but the rest I haven’t really looked into. I am wondering what lights are able to get pings to blush. I am trying to avoid any coloured lighting tho because they are in my living room. If anyone has any lights they know of I’d appreciate the suggestions. (:
By ChefDean
Old school direct sunlight.
I have three Mexi-Ping hybrids and, although they're all windowsill plants, they receive enough light to color up. Granted, not as vibrantly as they would if they were outside, but I got them for gnat control.
By Apollyon
Yescom works pretty good at closer (<12in) distances. It colors them up through plastic even. I'm sure they could with Mars Hydro but the thing generates a lot of heat so I don't usually put pings up there. I've also has good experience getting them to color up under T5 fluorescent fixtures (4 bulbs).
By DragonsEye
Place them closer to the lights. I have cheap fluorescent 40w tubes and some LED tubes on my plant stand. I have have moranensis color up as well as cyclosecta, Aphrodite, and laueana. Mine are much closer than 12" to the tubes.
Dan V liked this
By MissPing
Thankyou all for your suggestions! I probably shouldve mentioned I live in a rainforest climate with 100ft+ cedars sourounding me and only 2 west facing windows... what is this sun you speak of? Sounds like I need to move them closer to the light which is a nice and easy fix. Hopefully that works but if not ill look into those other brands or even just getting more of the same one. :D
By madrone
Sounds like you have a good grow light solution, but even shady outdoors light is pretty bright. If you had an extra ping or two (never too early to start propagating ;) ), you could do a little grow conditions test - comparing indoors to outdoors.

Mine grow indoors under miserable cold conditions in the winter. They all (or mostly all) just got their annual repot (to remove the very thick surface moss that also thrives in those chilly, humid winter conditions), and I moved them outside, where they'll stay until Sept/Oct (depending on overnight lows). Mine are on a baker's rack on my north-facing patio. The lot is open to the north (so probably a bit more ambient light than you describe), but the shelf is shaded by the house - except for the early morning and later afternoon when there might be 30-60mins of direct light.

I second nepenthes0260 and jeff - I also get my best colors in the fall as things cool off after the summer heat.

Welcome to the forum!
By MissPing
Hi I have mostly Mexican pings Laueana, Gigantea, Aphrodite, Agnata, Cyclosecta, Moranensis, Moranensis var. alba, Emarginata. Then I have like 15 Primuliflora warm temperate but they have been thriving in low light next to my terrarium so I don’t touch them. I started with 2 and they just started multiplying from the tips of the leaves. Since my last post I moved the light closer to my Mexican pings and they are blushing like crazy and growing so much faster too. I wish natural sun was an option believe me but, rainforest, 100ft trees, also on the N-W side of a mountain above the 50th parallel :p
Panman, madrone liked this
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!