FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Freebies, raffles, etc. for plants or growing supplies

Moderator: Matt

By cnrose
If you have Byblis seeds, Petiolaris-complex Drosera seeds, or other seeds whose germination is greatly aided by gibberrelic acid, I'm willing to send a small amount at no charge.

BE WARNED: Gibberrelic acid is a plant growth-regulating hormone, and while very useful in getting quick germination out of seeds when used correctly, it can also severely stunt or kill seeds and seedlings if used improperly. Do the research to determine in what concentration of GA3 solution and for how long you should soak your seeds.

With the recent addition of some wonderful Petiolaris-complex drosera seeds to the seedbank, and any Byblis seeds (liniflora excepted) that might find their way into the seedbank in the next couple months, there may be a want for a little bit of GA3 here and there without heading to eBay to buy a 10g bag of sketchy white powder that may or may not actually be the genuine article.

By default I'll send 1/64 tsp (about 0.07 ml, or ~100 mg) in a microcentrifuge tube by snail mail, (which is enough to make about 2 cups of 200ppm solution, or just under 1/2 cup of 1000 ppm solution) - however if you want more just ask. Precedence will be given to people will be given first to people with appropriate seeds from the seed bank (or a request for appropriate seeds in the process of being fulfilled), then to those with appropriate seeds from elsewhere.

For easy reference, here are some instructions for how to make a 270 ppm GA3 solution, which I use to soak annual Byblis (other than liniflora) seeds in for 5 days. These instructions are for use with 1/64 tsp (0.07 ml, ~100 mg) of GA3. For other concentrations or amounts, use the attached table to determine required amount of GA3 and water. Note that TDS meters will not work to determine the ppm concentration of GA3, instead you may have to use... math!

You will need to provide:
  • Low-TDS water (1¾ cups)
  • Isopropyl alcohol (several drops)
  • Dish soap (1 drop, optional)
  • Paper towel
  • Potting media and pot
Steps:
  1. Pour 1¾ cups of low-TDS water into a glass or other container
  2. Drop several drops of isopropyl alcohol into the GA3 tube until the powder is dissolved
  3. Pour the GA3/isopropyl liquid into the water. I recommend submerging the whole tube to get it all out. Optionally, add a drop of dish soap.
  4. Stir. Now you have a ~270 ppm GA3 solution.
  5. Carefully fold your seeds into a small paper towel, making them secure.
  6. Place the towel into the GA3 solution, and leave there for 4-5 days. The paper towel should have some slight black staining.
  7. After 5 days, remove the paper towel from the GA3 solution and gently soak in low-TDS water momentarily to wash off any remaining GA3
  8. Sow the seeds.
ga3.jpg
ga3.jpg (372.28 KiB) Viewed 3667 times
Hendre, RadRiverOtter, plantnerdjules and 1 others liked this
By Sharmagnep
Hi! My name is Sharmagne and I’m new here. I have some sundew and sarracenia seeds and was wondering if this would work for sarracenias well? I plant on sowing the sends in TC media. Would I sterilize the seeds first then soak the into the ga3 after for 24 hours l and then cold stratify then for 4-6 weeks? After soaking for 24 hours? Should I replace the water with the ga3 with just distilled water? I was planing on putting the seeds in my fridge in micro-centrifuge tubes. Would that work, or should I put sphagnum moss with it?

Also, I would love some of you4 GA3 if you still have some available! Mine is over 3 years old so it probably won’t be any good anymore haha.
By cnrose
Sharmagnep wrote:Hi! My name is Sharmagne and I’m new here. I have some sundew and sarracenia seeds and was wondering if this would work for sarracenias well? I plant on sowing the sends in TC media. Would I sterilize the seeds first then soak the into the ga3 after for 24 hours l and then cold stratify then for 4-6 weeks? After soaking for 24 hours? Should I replace the water with the ga3 with just distilled water? I was planing on putting the seeds in my fridge in micro-centrifuge tubes. Would that work, or should I put sphagnum moss with it?

Also, I would love some of you4 GA3 if you still have some available! Mine is over 3 years old so it probably won’t be any good anymore haha.
Hi Sharmagne! I’d recommend against using GA3 with Sarracenia seeds - even with seeds of genera that GA3 is known to work well for (namely Byblis) the germination rate is still inferior to what you get with smoke water + stratification. Since stratification is easier with Sarracenia (shorter time and no smoke water), I’d recommend just sticking with stratification.

I couldn’t find a ton of info on GA3 shelf life, but one source said with proper care it can last well over 2 years!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sharmagnep
Whoops!
I just soaked my sarrancia seeds for 24 hours in ga3 at 500ppm. Should I just take them out and can I place them in water inside a microcentrifuge tube? Or should I put moss? I’d like to do the cold stratification and then sow these in tissue culture media..

By cnrose
Sharmagnep wrote:Whoops!
I just soaked my sarrancia seeds for 24 hours in ga3 at 500ppm. Should I just take them out and can I place them in water inside a microcentrifuge tube? Or should I put moss? I’d like to do the cold stratification and then sow these in tissue culture media..

I would rinse/soak in distilled water to remove excess GA3 cold-stratify them as normal (in a paper towel). If you want you could try sowing them immediately and see what happens - there’s nothing wrong with a little experimentation

By cnrose
Supercazzola wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:54 pm I'll be happy to pay you for some GA3. I just requested the rorida seeds you donated. Should I send you a PM ?
Go for it! Just send me your address - I'll try to have the first round of GA3 tubes sent out in the next couple days.
By plantnerdjules
Many thanks cnrose, I will follow your advice for my next try with GA3. My first try was a fail :(

These instructions are for use with 1/64 tsp (0.07 ml, ~100 mg) of GA3.
Without precision scales, is there a practical way to measure this tiny amount?
By cnrose
plantnerdjules wrote:Many thanks cnrose, I will follow your advice for my next try with GA3. My first try was a fail :(

These instructions are for use with 1/64 tsp (0.07 ml, ~100 mg) of GA3.
Without precision scales, is there a practical way to measure this tiny amount?
There are a couple ways! The best way would be to order a small measuring device (I ordered a 1/64 tsp scoop and promptly lost it). Anything on the order of 0.1 mL should work.

One thing to keep in mind when using the table in the above post is that most GA3 powder is at 90% concentration, and its density is about 1.34 g/cm^3.

The next best way works well, but uses more GA3 powder and water; you can just scale up the amounts. If you want an 800 ppm solution, which you can make with 110 mg (0.07 mL, 1/64 tsp) GA3 and 118 mL (1/2 cup) water, but the smallest scoop you have is 1/8 tsp, you can just multiply all those quantities by 8 and end up with a recipe of 1/8 tsp GA3 and 4 cups of water.

There are also ways to do the above method while using less water involving making a high-concentration solution of GA3 (keep in mind its maximum solubility is around 10,000 ppm, or 1%), which you can then add much more manageable amounts of to smaller quantities of water to get the result you want. Just keep in mind that once mixed, GA3 loses its effectiveness after a couple days - so use it quickly!
plantnerdjules liked this

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

If you are going to use peat/perlite just slip pot[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!