FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Relyt4
Just put together this water table, I got some pond liner I'm going to put staples around the top. Do I need to put any adhesive down to keep the liner in place?
Is it common to add drains? If so what's a good way to add a drain while keeping the liner water tight
Attachments:
20220528_203956.jpg
20220528_203956.jpg (6.46 MiB) Viewed 3253 times
Intheswamp liked this
By davinstewart
Nice table. The common practice is the just leave the water stagnant without a drain.

However, I'd strongly advise looking into making an ebb and flow table. You're almost there already and It'll help your plants grow even better. The only changes you'd need would be to add a water reservoir (plastic trash cans work very well for this), water pump, and intake + overflow pipes. You can get all of that pretty cheaply on amazon.
Dan V liked this
By davinstewart
I'd steer clear of the adhesive since you shouldn't need it once the plants are in place.

Using adhesive would also make things more difficult to work with if the liner ever needs replacing or repair.
Dan V liked this
By optique
looks pretty good, but i have a suggestion why you are still working on it. Add 2 more leg braces spaced to create a shelf for 1020 treys. Could come in handy if nothing else a great place to grow live sphagnum.
By Relyt4
The tray shelf is also a great idea! I'm going to go with the ebb and flow idea, going to use the bottom area and put a tote to use as a water reservoir
By NightRaider
Interested to hear how this turns out since I'll probably need to build one within the next year, especially the ebb and flow system since that sounds like it could be beneficial for darlingtonia.
By davinstewart
Be mindful that your typical rectangular tub will break if filled with water. You might look into round containers like trash cans (my choice of preference).

Also, don't underestimate the weight of the water in the reservoir. You will likely need some additional support if you're thinking of putting it on that tray under the plants.
Dan V liked this
The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I r[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

A few weeks back most of my VFTs suddenly put out […]

Counting to infinity.

SASE mailed thank you

Looking for a Cephalotus

A guy in a plant club I'm in said he had some Nepe[…]

AI Generated Nepenthes

Hey look, it's those oddly neon bonsai seeds for s[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!