FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hendre
Those look good. I grew my neps under 54W of LED for a bit till they got too big for my shelf :)
Nightmare plants liked this
By specialkayme
There's a reason why you aren't getting a ton of responses.

For one, it's been 24 hours since you posted your question. This forum isn't exactly the place for instant gratification.

For two, this forum gets a TON of "is this light ok?" questions. Most of them are repetitive.

For three, you aren't really providing any information beyond a link to amazon. We don't know your setup (how far away from the plants do you plan on putting the lights, are there any other lights, in a tent, in your closet, on a shelf) or what type of plants (highland nepenthes, lowland nepenthes, bright light loving nepenthes, shade loving nepenthes) you're growing. Without any further information, there's really limited advice anyone on here can give you.

With all of that said, without providing any more information, if the question is "will this work for my nepenthes?" I'd say "probably." Beyond that, I'd rely on the reviews on amazon.

But there are a ton of light options in that price range, if you haven't already bought it. You can read about other options here: post409262.html#p409262, or browse the forum (like I said, the question comes up ALOT).

Hope that helps.
Nightmare plants, Dan V liked this
By Nightmare plants
Oh thank you sorry for not puting any information. I am growing around 20 nepenthes there are all in my grow tent which is 3x3x6. I have all sorts of random nepenthes like alata miranda,lowii,ventricosa. I dont know much about lighting . I haven't ordered it yet. I keep all my nepenthes at intermediate condition's and they are doing good. :)
By specialkayme
Figure out a solution where you can move the plants up to the light, not move the lights to the plant. You will have some nepenthes that will want a ton of light, while other nepenthes won't. Six feet of vertical space gives you a ton of options.

I have some nepenthes that prefer to be 6-12" away from my Florawave light. Other nepenthes prefer to be 4' away. To give you some comparison.
By specialkayme
Nightmare plants wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:14 pm Ok so how do i tell if the plant needs to go further from the light or closer to the light
They typically get light in color (pale yellow or light green), are slow to grow, and don't pitcher well when they have insufficient light. As they get closer, their leaves turn a ritcher green color, growth improves, and they pitcher well. As they get too close their leaves turn red, blush, or turn brown, growth becomes stunted.

I typically keep my nepenthes 3' or so away from my light and observe. It'll be different for your light though. If they blush, they get moved away. If they get pale, they go closer. It's a little bit of trial and error as you understand the personality of each plant.

There's also good information here https://www.carnivero.com/pages/nepenth ... t-response
By specialkayme
Nightmare plants wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:25 am Awesome thank you so much how many hours should i run it 12 hours? :D
Depends largely on your plants. If you have mostly nepenthes, 12 hours is usually a good target. Borneo has 12 hours of consistent light throughout the day, year round (https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@1648148), which is where most nepenthes can be found. So mimicking those conditions is probably a good target.

But you're competing with the sun, and any light you get won't be able to provide the quality and strength of light the sun will. So many people extend the photo period to compensate. Usually 14-16 hours or so.

If you're growing anything other than nepenthes, particularly things that grow a little further from the equator, mimicking seasons is helpful. You'll see people that will do closer to the 16-18 hour range in the summer, and closer to the 12-14 hour range in the winter. From personal experience, nepenthes don't seem to care whether you keep it consistent throughout the year or vary it with the seasons.

The other factor is whether you plan on having the light be your only source for the plants, or if you are using it to supplement light from a nearby window or sunroom. In that case, you want the light to come on to extend the photo period that the sun naturally provides. But I'm assuming you aren't doing this.
Supercazzola liked this
Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!