FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Oskar Zolcinski
I've gotten really interested in growing vfts indoors under grow lights and I want to achieve as much efficiency and efficacy as possible. I'll be building a grow tent soon and I wanted to ask about a few things as I'm really interested in learning about the specifics.

I've followed this post's (how-much-light-do-you-really-need-t31035.html) instructions with my sansi 36W bulb (PPF: 65.6 umol/s, PPFD: 265.58 μmol/s/㎡ @ 1ft) and the DLI at 1ft & 16 hours photoperiod came out to ~15mol/day*m^2. Which isn't ideal especially that eventually I want to be able to cover a 20x20" square area. First, I wanted to ask if my calculations are correct in the first place. If so, vfts could use much more light for optimal growth so should I just up my budget and go with something more powerful?

And regarding light spectrum, let's say I was growing a few plants under that 36W bulb and wanted to achieve better coloring. Would adding incandescents to the mix for more ir light do the trick? And accordingly, would focusing on red rays help promote the growth? I'm mostly asking here whether playing with different light wavelengths would grant different results in practice.

I would really appreciate if someone who's had success with the above could help me out.
Thanks in advance!
By specialkayme
Oskar Zolcinski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 am I've gotten really interested in growing vfts indoors under grow lights
I'm going to stop you right there. This is where you're going wrong. VFTs require winter dormancy. They will not survive year round indoors. You'll get about 2 years of decent growth before they die.

You could grow them indoors in the summer, then put them outdoors for a winter dormancy (if your geographic area provides that). But that kinda defeats the point. Unless your goal is to do like a science fair project or something. But if that's the case, you would probably be better off to switch to a carnivorous plant that doesn't need a winter dormancy period, like a nepenthes.
Oskar Zolcinski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 amIf so, vfts could use much more light for optimal growth so should I just up my budget and go with something more powerful?
Ignoring the above, a sansi bulb is fine for a 2'x2' area. Maybe more. FVTs typically prefer full sun, so the brighter (within reason) the better, so an upgrade would be better but not required. Many have grown VFTs with sansi bulbs.
Oskar Zolcinski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 am Would adding incandescents to the mix for more ir light do the trick?

Plants get little benefit out of incandescence.
Oskar Zolcinski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:53 amAnd accordingly, would focusing on red rays help promote the growth?
Not really necessary. Most grow lights on the market work fine. You don't need to reverse engineer the wavelengths to determine optimal growth.
Dan V liked this
By Oskar Zolcinski
I know about dormancy, perhaps I should've mentioned it for clarity. I'll be putting everything out on the balcony when time comes. What about the calculations though? Light from the bulb shouldn't be enough from 2ft away, by a lot.
By specialkayme
Oskar Zolcinski wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:33 pm I'll be putting everything out on the balcony when time comes.
You recognize the irony in that, right? Putting a plant on the balcony in the winter in order to mimic wild conditions when it's cold, but trying to create an artificial space indoors during the summer when you could just . . . put it on the balcony in the summer . . .
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!