FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By thepitchergrower
The seeds will produce an f2 hybrid of the actual dreamsicle (which would be considered x californica, assuming the plant was selfed (self pollinated)). If open pollinated, you might get other stuff in the mix. Since you are growing indoors, I doubt you will have problems with pollen contamination/other stuff getting in the mix. Essentially, it does not propagate true. If selfed, call offsprings x californica, if open pollinated, call offsprings Dreamsicle OP
By Shadowtski
A quick thought, some 'Dreamsicle' x self seed-produced plants could look enough like the original 'Dreamsicle' that people would start calling the seed-grown offspring 'Dreamsicle', leading to confusion and misidentification in many collections.
California Carnivores suggests cutting off the flower scapes so the true clones can't produce seed.
Me, I cut off the flower scapes but clone a new plant from the cutting.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Carnies
Yea, but you don't want to get the seedlings and then think that they were actually 'Dreamsicle' or a cultivar. It is counterproductive but you need to keep the same clones.
By MikeB
Dreamsicle is a hybrid of Drosera tracyi anthocyanin-free x Drosera filiformis "Florida Red". I let mine set seed one year, and the offspring were a mix of the three: some looked like Dreamsicle, some looked like pale tracyi with white flowers, and some looked like filiformis.

If you want to propagate Dreamsicle and have it remain true-to-type, do leaf cuttings like this. Mine are 5 weeks old now, and some of them are hitting 1.5 inches / 38mm tall.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Nepenthes0260
Despite possible morphological similarity, plants resulting from self-pollininated 'Dreamsicle' seed will not grow out to be the true cultivar. Cultivars should be reproduced purely through vegetative propagation (cloning) to preserve the original genetics, and any selfed plants should be accurately labeled as such (e.g. 'Dreamsicle' x self, xcalifornica, etc.).

https://legacy.carnivorousplants.org/cp ... 24_27.html
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
MikeB wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:25 am If you want to propagate Dreamsicle and have it remain true-to-type, do leaf cuttings like this. Mine are 5 weeks old now, and some of them are hitting 1.5 inches / 38mm tall.
Thanks, but I was thinking of trying a different method. (I could try both.) I want to go more for size rather than numbers. I think someone here cut 2 inch leaves and stuck them into the soil upright.
By thepitchergrower
TrapsAndDews wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:01 am
MikeB wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:25 am If you want to propagate Dreamsicle and have it remain true-to-type, do leaf cuttings like this. Mine are 5 weeks old now, and some of them are hitting 1.5 inches / 38mm tall.
Thanks, but I was thinking of trying a different method. (I could try both.) I want to go more for size rather than numbers. I think someone here cut 2 inch leaves and stuck them into the soil upright.
Everytime my dreamsicle decides to push out a flowerstalk, the growth point splits in 2 (divides). Not sure if it only happens under my conditions. Which means not only do I have a flowerstalk to make cuttings, but I also have 2 decent sized growthpoints. And leaf cuttings if I want to take them.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 3:41 am Old spatulata and tokaiensis leaves touching the soil tend to sprout plantlets.
I've only had that happen with my utricularia so far. I did notice that my tracyi has two growth points.

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!