FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

User avatar
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Location: 
Posts:  65
Joined:  Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am
#412043
I am new to Carnivorous Plants ... I got my first VFT about a month and a half ago and my first pitcher plants about two weeks after that. But as you can tell by looking at my grow list, I jumped in feet first. Keep in mind, my 5 year plan is to open a Plant Nursery .. which is why I chose this user ID

Nepenthes
4 - unknown
1 - rafflesia a marron x fukakusa
1 - ventrata
1 - singalana x mirabilis bar globosa BE-3867

Sundew
1 rotundifola

VFT
Over a dozen typicals
Seeds germinating as well

Sarracenias
2 - typical
Seeds. In the fridge, cold stratifying


Ordered and in transit

Sarracenias
Leucophylla tarnok
40" leucophylla
Willow creek
Rubra gulfensis AF
Psittacina
Judith handle
Leuco dc red x oreo
Leucophylla x oreophila
Alta pale
Purpurea venosa
Daina's delight
Rubra long lid
Appalachian spring
Flava Cuprea
June Bug
Readii Green AF
Minor
Excellens
Fiest Dog
Minor Hybrid

Sundew
Capensis Alba
Filiformis

I am loving this forum!
Bill Phoenix, DUB-C liked this
By Dragonslayer126
Location: 
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
#412188
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:30 pm I am new to Carnivorous Plants ... I got my first VFT about a month and a half ago and my first pitcher plants about two weeks after that. But as you can tell by looking at my grow list, I jumped in feet first. Keep in mind, my 5 year plan is to open a Plant Nursery .. which is why I chose this user ID

Nepenthes
4 - unknown
1 - rafflesia a marron x fukakusa
1 - ventrata
1 - singalana x mirabilis bar globosa BE-3867

Sundew
1 rotundifola

VFT
Over a dozen typicals
Seeds germinating as well

Sarracenias
2 - typical
Seeds. In the fridge, cold stratifying


Ordered and in transit

Sarracenias
Leucophylla tarnok
40" leucophylla
Willow creek
Rubra gulfensis AF
Psittacina
Judith handle
Leuco dc red x oreo
Leucophylla x oreophila
Alta pale
Purpurea venosa
Daina's delight
Rubra long lid
Appalachian spring
Flava Cuprea
June Bug
Readii Green AF
Minor
Excellens
Fiest Dog
Minor Hybrid

Sundew
Capensis Alba
Filiformis

I am loving this forum!
I love that you got a purpurea. By the way, what do you mean by sarracenia typical?
By Dragonslayer126
Location: 
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
#412189
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:30 pm I am new to Carnivorous Plants ... I got my first VFT about a month and a half ago and my first pitcher plants about two weeks after that. But as you can tell by looking at my grow list, I jumped in feet first. Keep in mind, my 5 year plan is to open a Plant Nursery .. which is why I chose this user ID

Nepenthes
4 - unknown
1 - rafflesia a marron x fukakusa
1 - ventrata
1 - singalana x mirabilis bar globosa BE-3867

Sundew
1 rotundifola

VFT
Over a dozen typicals
Seeds germinating as well

Sarracenias
2 - typical
Seeds. In the fridge, cold stratifying


Ordered and in transit

Sarracenias
Leucophylla tarnok
40" leucophylla
Willow creek
Rubra gulfensis AF
Psittacina
Judith handle
Leuco dc red x oreo
Leucophylla x oreophila
Alta pale
Purpurea venosa
Daina's delight
Rubra long lid
Appalachian spring
Flava Cuprea
June Bug
Readii Green AF
Minor
Excellens
Fiest Dog
Minor Hybrid

Sundew
Capensis Alba
Filiformis

I am loving this forum!
In case you need help with all the sarracenia I have some tips coming from the owner of happy sarracenia. 1. Peat or sphagnum, no miracle grow or added minerals
2. Distilled, rain, or reverse osmosis, I use the tray method and all my plants are happy.
3. Full sun OUTDOORS(Unless its a sarracenia purpurea (the coolest) or a sarracenia psitticina which both of them you can grow under lights and provide a dormancy in a garage or sunroom (UNHEATED).
4. Dormancy from Late November-April if you are in an area where it goes below 20°F then overwinter them indoors in a garage or sunroom or research the fridge method( a less popular and fun method)
5. Feed them with either live insects or one osmocote pellet(green bottle one) into the pitchers once a month or mist with maxsea fertilizer at a quarter strength, if some are indoors, which is an option with lights along as you supply a dormancy. My Purpurea is happy indoors with lights and pitchering like crazy.
6. For the purpurea and psitticina, you can grow them indoors since they are smaller than the rest of the sarracenia and (in my opinion the coolest(no offense other sarrs) ).
7. Use plastic pots ONLY, Terra cotta will basically bring naughty minerals into the soil and slowly kill your plant with the minerals and salts from the Terra cotta pot.
I hope that this info that helped me will help you with your sarracenia if you needed it. By the way, make sure that it never goes above 110°F. I hope you enjoy the forum!
User avatar
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Location: 
Posts:  65
Joined:  Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am
#412197
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:44 am
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 3:30 pm I am new to Carnivorous Plants ... I got my first VFT about a month and a half ago and my first pitcher plants about two weeks after that. But as you can tell by looking at my grow list, I jumped in feet first. Keep in mind, my 5 year plan is to open a Plant Nursery .. which is why I chose this user ID

Nepenthes
4 - unknown
1 - rafflesia a marron x fukakusa
1 - ventrata
1 - singalana x mirabilis bar globosa BE-3867

Sundew
1 rotundifola

VFT
Over a dozen typicals
Seeds germinating as well

Sarracenias
2 - typical
Seeds. In the fridge, cold stratifying


Ordered and in transit

Sarracenias
Leucophylla tarnok
40" leucophylla
Willow creek
Rubra gulfensis AF
Psittacina
Judith handle
Leuco dc red x oreo
Leucophylla x oreophila
Alta pale
Purpurea venosa
Daina's delight
Rubra long lid
Appalachian spring
Flava Cuprea
June Bug
Readii Green AF
Minor
Excellens
Fiest Dog
Minor Hybrid

Sundew
Capensis Alba
Filiformis

I am loving this forum!
I love that you got a purpurea. By the way, what do you mean by sarracenia typical?
I don't know what else to call it as it came from a local nursery with no ID
FB_IMG_1653557079497.jpg
FB_IMG_1653557079497.jpg (128.03 KiB) Viewed 590 times
The above is the day I got it.
IMG_20220514_160852885_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220514_160852885_HDR.jpg (888 KiB) Viewed 590 times
And this was after I had it for a few weeks
User avatar
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Location: 
Posts:  65
Joined:  Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am
#412198
My big order of sarracenias comes today!! I'm up early mixing my soil mix and making sure my (plastic) pots are clean.

I'm using a mix of about 60% peat 40% perlite. Normally id use 50/50 but the I bought all the perlite without fertilizer that was available and I think Im going to be a little low.

I invested in a 3 stage RO buddy. It reads zero on my meter.

Im using small kiddie pools. Can I see how your tray method works? I don't know that that size pot would be suitable for me as most of the plants I'm getting today are mature plants. Plus I have to get them planted asap and I don't have any trays. But it's definitely something I'd consider doing in the future. When the sun comes up I have to go outside and attempt to level the ground where my kiddie pools go at least a little bit

I live in Maryland, zone 7A. My plan for overwintering is to let the water go lowish in my pools and cover it all with burlap and then straw or pine needles on top the burlap. Of course whichever combination I choose I will put in water for a few days and test with my meter before I implement it. Attached you will find my average temp stats. Let me know if you do not think this method of overwintering will be sufficient.
Screenshot_20220526-053740.png
Screenshot_20220526-053740.png (221.69 KiB) Viewed 589 times
There is zero chance of me keeping these in the house. As a newbie I don't have nearly enough room, let alone light, for that. I could, however, build them a row cover or a cold frame for winter time.
I am slightly worried I won't have enough pots today but worst case scenario I'll use old butter containers with holes drilled in them til I can get more next week lol. I believe my private seller told me that I am getting doubles and even triples of some plants. I didn't place an order exactly. I gave him a dollar amount and told him to send me whatever he wanted for that price. The above is what he said he sent.
I did a thing a few days ago and made a Facebook page for my plants (not just carnivorous). Since I want to open a plant nursery in a few years I thought maybe I could get a head start on having an audience. It's new so there isn't much on it yet but I will likely be posting a lot of pics of my delivery today ... Feel free to check it out if you would like.

https://www.facebook.com/My-Garden-Plan ... 3005935870

I will very likely have a lot of questions as I continue my carnivorous journey
Dragonslayer126 liked this
User avatar
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Location: 
Posts:  65
Joined:  Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am
#412199
Do I have to use live insects? In the beginning of my carnivorous journey I bought dehydrated crickets. I read something somewhere that recommended them. Can I use them up before switching to live?
By Dragonslayer126
Location: 
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
#412237
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am Do I have to use live insects? In the beginning of my carnivorous journey I bought dehydrated crickets. I read something somewhere that recommended them. Can I use them up before switching to live?
You don't have to use live insects. Only feed them if it's indoors. Since sarracenia fill up to the top in the summer sometimes with bugs. And make sure to PUT WATER IN THE PURPUREA PITCHERS! A pool should be fine. I already don't have as much sarracenia as you. 80% of my sarrs are purpurea, but they are basically the same as the other sarss besides that purpureas have to have water in the their pitchers. A baby pool should do fine. But mosquitoes may be a problem. I just use food containers for my trays since I don't have as much sarracenia as you. Dried insects for any plants that you may have indoors (nepenthes ) would be okay, but I don't think will provide as much nutrients as live ones. I would reccomend misting your outdoor plants with maxsea mixture with water, the only place I can find it for a reasonable price is californiacarnivores.com
And cut off your sarracenia pitchers( only the brown ones for purpurea and psitticina) before spring starts.
User avatar
By thepitchergrower
Location: 
Posts:  2560
Joined:  Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:22 am
#412238
Mosquitos/mosquito larvae are easily eliminated by letting the water tray dry out for one day before refilling it.
By Dragonslayer126
Location: 
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
#412241
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 am My big order of sarracenias comes today!! I'm up early mixing my soil mix and making sure my (plastic) pots are clean.

I'm using a mix of about 60% peat 40% perlite. Normally id use 50/50 but the I bought all the perlite without fertilizer that was available and I think Im going to be a little low.

I invested in a 3 stage RO buddy. It reads zero on my meter.

Im using small kiddie pools. Can I see how your tray method works? I don't know that that size pot would be suitable for me as most of the plants I'm getting today are mature plants. Plus I have to get them planted asap and I don't have any trays. But it's definitely something I'd consider doing in the future. When the sun comes up I have to go outside and attempt to level the ground where my kiddie pools go at least a little bit

I live in Maryland, zone 7A. My plan for overwintering is to let the water go lowish in my pools and cover it all with burlap and then straw or pine needles on top the burlap. Of course whichever combination I choose I will put in water for a few days and test with my meter before I implement it. Attached you will find my average temp stats. Let me know if you do not think this method of overwintering will be sufficient.
Screenshot_20220526-053740.png
There is zero chance of me keeping these in the house. As a newbie I don't have nearly enough room, let alone light, for that. I could, however, build them a row cover or a cold frame for winter time.
I am slightly worried I won't have enough pots today but worst case scenario I'll use old butter containers with holes drilled in them til I can get more next week lol. I believe my private seller told me that I am getting doubles and even triples of some plants. I didn't place an order exactly. I gave him a dollar amount and told him to send me whatever he wanted for that price. The above is what he said he sent.
I did a thing a few days ago and made a Facebook page for my plants (not just carnivorous). Since I want to open a plant nursery in a few years I thought maybe I could get a head start on having an audience. It's new so there isn't much on it yet but I will likely be posting a lot of pics of my delivery today ... Feel free to check it out if you would like.

https://www.facebook.com/My-Garden-Plan ... 3005935870

I will very likely have a lot of questions as I continue my carnivorous journey
I don't know if the idea of letting a little bit of water at the bottom during the winter is going to work. Just make sure that it stays above 32°F at all times. And only cover them once it starts to go under 32°F because if it doesn't get covered then, we'll I think that the ice will all freeze and the pots will get stuck and it will be ice instead of water, idk though because that never happened to me. In the winter I just water them from the top. If you need help make sure to check out california carnivores on youtube and other carnivorous plant youtubers first.
Last edited by Dragonslayer126 on Thu May 26, 2022 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dragonslayer126
Location: 
Posts:  253
Joined:  Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:04 pm
#412242
thepitchergrower wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:04 pm Mosquitos/mosquito larvae are easily eliminated by letting the water tray dry out for one day before refilling it.
Yeah I completely forgot about that. ;)
User avatar
By Shore_Fancy_Nursery
Location: 
Posts:  65
Joined:  Wed May 18, 2022 1:52 am
#412260
Dragonslayer126 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:09 pm
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 am My big order of sarracenias comes today!! I'm up early mixing my soil mix and making sure my (plastic) pots are clean.

I'm using a mix of about 60% peat 40% perlite. Normally id use 50/50 but the I bought all the perlite without fertilizer that was available and I think Im going to be a little low.

I invested in a 3 stage RO buddy. It reads zero on my meter.

Im using small kiddie pools. Can I see how your tray method works? I don't know that that size pot would be suitable for me as most of the plants I'm getting today are mature plants. Plus I have to get them planted asap and I don't have any trays. But it's definitely something I'd consider doing in the future. When the sun comes up I have to go outside and attempt to level the ground where my kiddie pools go at least a little bit

I live in Maryland, zone 7A. My plan for overwintering is to let the water go lowish in my pools and cover it all with burlap and then straw or pine needles on top the burlap. Of course whichever combination I choose I will put in water for a few days and test with my meter before I implement it. Attached you will find my average temp stats. Let me know if you do not think this method of overwintering will be sufficient.
Screenshot_20220526-053740.png
There is zero chance of me keeping these in the house. As a newbie I don't have nearly enough room, let alone light, for that. I could, however, build them a row cover or a cold frame for winter time.
I am slightly worried I won't have enough pots today but worst case scenario I'll use old butter containers with holes drilled in them til I can get more next week lol. I believe my private seller told me that I am getting doubles and even triples of some plants. I didn't place an order exactly. I gave him a dollar amount and told him to send me whatever he wanted for that price. The above is what he said he sent.
I did a thing a few days ago and made a Facebook page for my plants (not just carnivorous). Since I want to open a plant nursery in a few years I thought maybe I could get a head start on having an audience. It's new so there isn't much on it yet but I will likely be posting a lot of pics of my delivery today ... Feel free to check it out if you would like.

https://www.facebook.com/My-Garden-Plan ... 3005935870

I will very likely have a lot of questions as I continue my carnivorous journey
I don't know if the idea of letting a little bit of water at the bottom during the winter is going to work. Just make sure that it stays above 32°F at all times. And only cover them once it starts to go under 32°F because if it doesn't get covered then, we'll I think that the ice will all freeze and the pots will get stuck and it will be ice instead of water, idk though because that never happened to me. In the winter I just water them from the top. If you need help make sure to check out california carnivores on youtube and other carnivorous plant youtubers first.
The guy that I got today's plant mail from lives in Oregon and it's a lot colder there than here. All he does is huddle them together with a little water in the bottom. I will take it a step farther and somehow insulate them
User avatar
By NightRaider
Location: 
Posts:  300
Joined:  Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:01 am
#412273
Shore_Fancy_Nursery wrote:I don't know what else to call it as it came from a local nursery with no ID
Generally you'd literally just label it NOID. "Typical" IME can be used within a single species where cultivars are the standard (so generally Dionaea) to designate a plant that either isn't a cultivar/clone or can't be labeled as such (seed-grown, sold w/o a label, etc). NOID can be used when you don't even know the species (or hybrid) and is most commonly seen with unlabeled Sarracenia and Pinguicula. Drosera could also use NOID for something like unidentifiable hitchhikers for example, but with "typical" for it and most other genera you generally would just use the species name w/o any qualifiers instead (ex. D. capensis > D. capensis "typical"). Same idea with Sarracenia - there's actually tons of specific clones of some of the forms but you'd never see someone say "S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek White 'typical'" just because HCW clones A-G exist. Information overload here I know, but you'll eventually get a feel for it in any case.

Thanks both for your suggestions! Hadn't considere[…]

N. Gantungensis conditions?

Like its closely related Palawan friends, it appre[…]

I picked up this beauty a month ago from an eBay a[…]

Welcome you found a great place.

Carnivorous Plants for Sale!

Well, as far the cephs go, they're all going to be[…]

Most spectacular capensis flower

If the other flowers share this trait, you might h[…]

Man, this is a joke. It really hurts to read. Kill[…]

If there is a distinct petiole without tentacles, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!