FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By AhmtBgraa
Hello everyone. I would have questions about the B52 I had just bought. The plant is 4-5 years old. I changed the soil and pot. He's just waking up right now and hasn't taken out a flower stalk yet. He probably wasn't in a very fertile environment at his previous location and was powerless. I can understand this from the removal of small traps and leaves without traps. My first question is can he get big traps out again with time and proper maintenance? Or should I not expect very big traps this year? The year before, he had big traps. I saw it from the dead traps. My second question is that an insect triggered 2 open traps and escaped. Would that be a big problem for a flycatcher of this size who is still under the stress of getting used to it? My third question is should I cut it when the flower stalk comes out? I have observed that although my old flycatchers grow very healthy, they stop growing for a long time after cutting the flower stalk.I do not want such a situation to happen with this plant. But if I let the flower stalk grow, I'm sure it will be extremely unhealthy and exhausting for this flycatcher. Therefore, I feel the need to consult with you. My fourth question is will it be okay to feed it with bloodworm after 1-2 weeks have passed and the plant has become accustomed to its place? I used to do this a lot on my old plants. In some of them it worked very well, while in others it was just tiring. My last question is that the flycatcher is currently receiving 16 hours of light under the 1500 lumen LED lamp. I know the rule of development the brighter the better. So do you think it would be better for me to move it under another Led lamp with 2700 lumens brightness? Or does it just tire the plant? Thank you in advance for your help and advice, folks.
Attachments:
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1577 times
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 1577 times
By Carnies
I'd recommend cutting the flower stalk, what do you mean by "big traps"? Yes, I'd feed it bloodworms after a few weeks. I recommend this grow light: https://www.amazon.com/Dommia-Spectrum- ... 71&sr=8-15

I have the purple light but I think the warm light works as well.
By Dragonslayer126
AhmtBgraa wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:47 pm Hello everyone. I would have questions about the B52 I had just bought. The plant is 4-5 years old. I changed the soil and pot. He's just waking up right now and hasn't taken out a flower stalk yet. He probably wasn't in a very fertile environment at his previous location and was powerless. I can understand this from the removal of small traps and leaves without traps. My first question is can he get big traps out again with time and proper maintenance? Or should I not expect very big traps this year? The year before, he had big traps. I saw it from the dead traps. My second question is that an insect triggered 2 open traps and escaped. Would that be a big problem for a flycatcher of this size who is still under the stress of getting used to it? My third question is should I cut it when the flower stalk comes out? I have observed that although my old flycatchers grow very healthy, they stop growing for a long time after cutting the flower stalk.I do not want such a situation to happen with this plant. But if I let the flower stalk grow, I'm sure it will be extremely unhealthy and exhausting for this flycatcher. Therefore, I feel the need to consult with you. My fourth question is will it be okay to feed it with bloodworm after 1-2 weeks have passed and the plant has become accustomed to its place? I used to do this a lot on my old plants. In some of them it worked very well, while in others it was just tiring. My last question is that the flycatcher is currently receiving 16 hours of light under the 1500 lumen LED lamp. I know the rule of development the brighter the better. So do you think it would be better for me to move it under another Led lamp with 2700 lumens brightness? Or does it just tire the plant? Thank you in advance for your help and advice, folks.
For me I cut the flower if the plant is unhealthy or doesn't have much traps. If it has many traps and is healthy I would leave it.
By Carnies
Dragonslayer126 wrote: If it has many traps and is healthy I would leave it.
Well, it will still slow down it's growth and stop trap production, it's up to them.
By Dragonslayer126
Carnies wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 pm
Dragonslayer126 wrote: If it has many traps and is healthy I would leave it.
Well, it will still slow down it's growth and stop trap production, it's up to them.
Yeah, but I wouldn't care because of all the traps on it.
Perlite from Ebay

The website, http://www.perlagro.co.uk/product/per[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!