FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Sp0nser
Is klossii supposed to grow like this and have a thin layer of white powder on the leaves?

Thanks
Attachments:
20220524_215234.jpg
20220524_215234.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 2231 times
By specialkayme
I can't really tell from the photo what type of white powder you're talking about.

What type of substrate do you have it growing in?

Overall, at least from what I can see, it doesn't look "unhealthy." Leaf coloration looks a little on the light side for what I prefer to see in my nepenthes, but it could just be the photo. Looks like you've got a Florawave light (if I'm interpreting that receptacle correctly). If so, light levels should be just fine.

If you're seeing a white powder on the leaves, 95% of the time it ends up being white powder mildew (https://www.gardendesign.com/how-to/pow ... vegetables.). Heads up on that one.

I will mention that I have about 27 nepenthes growing right now. My ampullaria "Black Miracle" appears to put a white, semi-sticky "powder" like substance on it's leaves. It isn't white powder mildew though, as I can almost brush off the powder, unlike any mildew, mold or fungus I've encountered, and the plant "grows" the powder back. It's the only nepenthes that does that, not even the other ampullaria (Red x Black Miracle") that grows right next to it. Strange, and I haven't quite figured out why it does that. But it's growing just fine for me, good coloration and it's pitchering (it prefers warmer conditions than what it has, so it's actually growing a little on the slower side). I've never grown a klossii before, so maybe it's putting off that white powder on its leaves like my BM is.
By Sp0nser
That whitish coloration on the leaves is the "powder" i'm talking about, It does seem to grow back as soon as I try to remove it. I'll have to look into that.
By Sp0nser
im also getting another light (s40) since the florawave I have is powerful enough to grow sarracenia indoors (p80) and the nepenthes might get cooked.
By specialkayme
Sp0nser wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:35 pm That whitish coloration on the leaves is the "powder" i'm talking about,
I don't see any whiteish coloration in the photo. I was referring to the lighter "yellowish" coloration of the leaves.

FWIW, Carnivero has the following information:

"I have found that Nepenthes klossii is particularly prone to fungal issues on its leaves so I would recommend to grow it where the leaves can dry out between mistings. If that's not an option (like a highland greenhouse in Texas that relies on misters for daytime evaporative cooling in summer) then I recommend routine spraying with a systemic fungicide such as Thiophanate-methyl (trade name Cleary 3336 in the USA)."
Sp0nser wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 2:37 pm im also getting another light (s40) since the florawave I have is powerful enough to grow sarracenia indoors (p80) and the nepenthes might get cooked.
I'd suggest increasing the distance from the light, rather than getting a new light.

The Florawave lights are powerful. You can fry a nepenthes under it. But it depends on the nepenthes. Some of my plants (sangunea, burkei x hamata) prefer to be further from the light, about 5 feet or so. Some of my plants (ampullaria, maxima x edwardsiana) prefer to be as close as possible, about 12 inches or so. But most prefer a distance of 2.5-3 feet.
By Sp0nser
I can.t increase the light distance since its already at the maximum height it could go(the grow tent slopes up), plus the new light is coming today and I have different plants that require different light levels, like drosera and utricularia.
By specialkayme
Sp0nser wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:47 pm I have different plants that require different light levels, like drosera and utricularia.
I grow nepenthes, drosera and utricularia (along with orchids, cephalotus and a few other randoms) under the same light. They have different light needs, but they don't need different lights. Just different distances.

If you can't raise the lights any more, it sounds like the issue is with your tent, not the light. If you don't want to change the tent, look at lowering the plants instead of raising the lights. Looks like your plants are already a few feet off the ground. Seems like a much easier, more efficient, and cheaper solution than trying to fit in another light.

But YMMV.
By Nepenthes0260
Those leaves look normal to me. Some species such as ampullaria produce a fine coating on the leaves, and others are just densely pubescent. It doesn’t look like a fungal issue to me. BTW, don’t worry about giving klossii too much light! In-situ, the plants are BLASTED by full sun on their warm grey clay soils.
Attachments:
Klossii in-situ (not my pic… unfortunately)
Klossii in-situ (not my pic… unfortunately)
42059B0F-A259-461D-91BC-B22765FA615D.jpeg (623.38 KiB) Viewed 2140 times
By Nepenthes0260
If anything, I’d actually recommend more light for that plant :lol:. In-situ the leaves receive so much light they often color up red.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!