FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Bruh Eh
I recently received a Nepenthes from Carnivero. Everything was fine, however today I noticed a leaf was turning black really fast (in hours) and moved the plant inside and it stopped turning black. The black part of the leaf feels dead and dehydrated, there are some green parts near the tendril. It is the oldest leaf at the bottom. All of the other leaves are doing fine, some are completely normal, others have a yellow-reddish-bronze tinge to it. One of the newer leaf is like 40% the size of the older one and looks wonky and droopy (it arrived like that), shouldn’t the newer leaves be bigger?The growth tip is actually doing very good it’s growing the leaf blades and getting longer. The plant is also one of the easier hybrids (Robcantleyi x Ventricosa. Shipping was really fast too so it shouldn’t shock the plant that much. Is the plant doing fine?
Attachments:
4A999858-73F4-4C34-B7F0-8BCA24409D04.jpeg
4A999858-73F4-4C34-B7F0-8BCA24409D04.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1923 times
72D2B5DD-68E6-4CC3-9519-D3D0FB5BF2C8.jpeg
72D2B5DD-68E6-4CC3-9519-D3D0FB5BF2C8.jpeg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 1923 times
By ChefDean
You recently received it, it was outside, and that's the oldest leaf. Put them all together and you'll have your answer.
You recently received a plant (stressed from shipping) had it outside (acclimating to sunlight after growing up in a greenhouse) and the oldest leaf is dying (the oldest leaf will eventually be the next to go, normal).
As long as it is still green and growing, even slowly, it's fine. Put it back outside and let it do its thing.
Having said that, Neps don't like a lot of direct sunlight, so find a place that only gets an hour or so of sun, and indirect sunlight for the most part of the day. Mine seem to like AM sun better, less intense at a cooler part of the day, and easily tolerate the heat of the day in the shade.
I would also make sure that pitcher has liquid in it (add a little distilled water if necessary) and put some bugs in there. The influx of nutrients will help the plant pull out of its funk and get it back to normal.
By Bruh Eh
So currently I have the plant in a dome with a hole on the top to let heat out while still retaining a decent amount of humidity for the plant to acclimate. I had also fill the pitcher with distilled water too. I was kind of scared because the plant’s leaf was turning black so fast. Thank you for the tip, I’ll keep it out of direct sun to see if it’ll do better.
By specialkayme
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 am You recently received it, it was outside, and that's the oldest leaf. Put them all together and you'll have your answer.
Who disliked that post? It's spot on accurate.
By ChefDean
specialkayme wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:39 pm
ChefDean wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:56 am You recently received it, it was outside, and that's the oldest leaf. Put them all together and you'll have your answer.
Who disliked that post? It's spot on accurate.
I know who it was, and I'm sure it was a mistake. Those darn like/dislike buttons are so close together.
specialkayme liked this
By specialkayme
Bruh Eh wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 3:35 pm So currently I have the plant in a dome with a hole on the top to let heat out while still retaining a decent amount of humidity for the plant to acclimate.
A few thoughts, in no particular order:

1. It would be helpful if you told us what kind of nepenthes it was. Some nepenthes grow in 0 elevation, high temp and high humidity. Some nepenthes grow at 11,000 feet elevation with cooler temps. And everything inbetween.
2. It would be helpful if you told us where you live. You can edit your location in your settings. If you're growing a plant in Michigan outdoors, the advice will be very different than if you're growing a plant in Florida outdoors (or Brazil, or Norway, not to exclude our international friends).
3. If you recently bought the plant from Carnivero, I suggest you reach out to them first. Drew is a great owner, and stands behind his products. He may be able to give you some pointers.
4. Putting a plant in a dome in the sunlight is a great way to fry the plant immediately. Hole or no hole involved. Be careful of temps.
5. Like what was posted above, most nepenthes don't grow well outdoors, unless you have a lowland plant and live in a lowland area.
6. Generally speaking, it's best to try and mimic the conditions the plant was growing in before you bought it, then slowly acclimate it to your conditions. If the plant was growing in Drew's greenhouse in TX, went through shipping, then got put in a mini dome greenhouse outdoors somewhere else, I can imagine it would be exhibiting some stress and shock. If that's the case, the plant appears to be doing very good all things considered.
7. The shock and stress likely accounts for the smaller top leaves. But the coloration and growth appears fine, so I wouldn't worry.
By optique
I watch plants I get from CAR extra close, some i have to spend two weeks hardening off to my conditions. Drew must pamper them.
Carnies liked this
By Bruh Eh
So I live in Sacramento California, the weather here is quite hot and has relatively low humidity. The plant is a cross between Ventricosa and Robcantleyi, I think the parents are highland plants or something idk
(Replying to specialkayme)
By Bruh Eh
Yeah, I think they always overdo the conditionings for their plants. I’ve bought many Nepenthes from Sarracenia Northwest and their plants don’t show a single sign of stress after shipping and immediately grow after I put it on a window.

(Replying to Optique)

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!